UKC

What does reduces flat feet mean?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi.

What does reduces flat feet actually mean?

For example
http://www.yogajournal.com/pose/mountain-pose/

Sav
 Stig 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:
People with flat feet don't have a very pronounced arch in their mid foot. You can tell if you have flat feet by looking at the prints you leave on the floor when your feet are wet. Good arches leave a curved shape on the inside of the print whereas flat feet are more even on each side. Hard to describe but hope you get the jist.

Flat feet used to mean you failed the army recruitment but personally I am sceptical it makes much difference to speed or endurance in running etc.
In reply to Stig:

I am very flat footed myself but what I would like to know is how can yoga asanas reduce them.
 Wayne S 13 Mar 2017
It's ballet dancing you need to strengthen those feet rather than yoga.
In reply to Wayne S:

At the moment I'm happy with Yoga....
It's not just this pose that stengthens feat!
 BusyLizzie 14 Mar 2017

My father was conscripted in 1945 - too young during the war - and joined the RAF; he carried an irritation for the rest of his life because he passed all the other aspects of the physical to become a pilot but failed because he had flat feet. He then spent his two years in uniform organising the movement of things (useful and useless) on the railways...
 Static 14 Mar 2017

Yoga wont change flat feet. Temporarily putting your feet into ideal alignment will not change long term ingrained motor patterns. As soon as you stop consciously thinking about foot posture, old habits will return.

On the bright side, flat feet are now usually considered just a variation of normal. Some Olympic runners have them.
In reply to Static:

According to some online Yoga sources it can reduce then but it takes time and daily participation.

It is hard for me to walk on hot sand at the beach because of my flat feet.

ChrisBrooke 14 Mar 2017

> It is hard for me to walk on hot sand at the beach because of my flat feet.

It's hard for me to walk on hot sand at the beach because of my soft, southern feet. Likewise, stoney, pebbly beaches. My wife and I enjoy laughing at each other trying to walk stylishly in/out of the sea on a stoney beach. It's one of my favourite parts of a trip to the seaside.

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I have problems with stoney and pebbly beaches as well like when I went to Nice with my sister and mum.

How do cope with the walk-ins to crags?
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Poor him....
The same with one of my dad's brothers. He couldn't do military service on Cyprus because of his flat feet.
 ChrisBrooke 14 Mar 2017

> How do cope with the walk-ins to crags?

I keep my shoes on
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Great.
Are you talking about approach shoes?

FactorXXX 14 Mar 2017

Are you talking about approach shoes?

Depends on the crag that you are walking to.
Somewhere low level like the Idwal Slabs and town shoes are more than adequate...
In reply to FactorXXX:

What about Stanage?
I have walking boots and trainers.
 FactorXXX 14 Mar 2017

I have walking boots and trainers.

They're fine for most grades.
If you're climbing E3 and above then sandals are acceptable. However, if socks are worn with 'old school' sandals then you might well be sent back to Hathersage to buy some alternative footwear.
Wads and only wads are allowed to wear flip flops.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Very funny....
I was talking about the walk-ins.....
For the climbing it's self I have 5.10 Anasazi Velcroes.
 Oceanrower 15 Mar 2017

"What does reduces flat feet mean?"

Out of interest, WTF do you think it means? It's pretty unambiguous!
In reply to Oceanrower:

I think it means it gives the yoga practitioner's feet a little bit of an arch.

> Very funny....I was talking about the walk-ins.....For the climbing it's self I have 5.10 Anasazi Velcroes.

Try to avoid any walk ins that involve foot bridges, they may be fallen arches.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

V. Funny!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...