UKC

Have you been victim of fake/counterfeit gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 14 Mar 2017
We need your stories!

The BBC1 Fake Britain team are keen to know if you think you've ever bought or used what you think is counterfeit, falsely certified, or unsafe climbing equipment if any kind or brand, or even if you've had any gear fail while using it.

If this is you, please contact James at: fakebritain@screenchanneltv.co.uk

For more information, read: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/buying-climbing-equipment-gear-online
 guy127917 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Do delaminating miura's count?
 Jim Haydock 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Anyone ? - this will be aired on TV in the Autumn so anyone with knowledge of the above please get in touch soon
 Si_G 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Jim Haydock:

I think folk on here are generally savvy enough to avoid this sort of problem?
 GrahamD 06 Apr 2017
In reply to SiGregory:

Or too embarrassed to 'fes up.
 Toerag 06 Apr 2017
In reply to SiGregory:

> I think folk on here are generally savvy enough to avoid this sort of problem?

I dunno, there's a massive volume of new climbers who've not had the traditional 'apprenticeship' people had before indoor walls became popular. These people will simply look online and buy what's cheap in the absence of experienced mentors to influence them.
In reply to Team BMC:

One or two members in my club got some of those knockoff Grivel crampons off eBay, they broke first use apparently.
 Mattilda 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Was concerned that had bought a dodgy petzl screwgate off ebay, Lyon equipment & BMC tech team super helpful. Off for testing at the moment, seems likely not fake, but there was something a bit odd about the seller and the instructions exactly the same as the fake ones that have been circulating. If i find out in time may let you know.
Removed User 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

I think we've all been victims of fake news from the BBC. Maybe they could do a programme about that.
 nniff 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Not for years, but I used to have a fine knock-off Primus paraffin stove. To be fair, it was bought in Kenya and said both 'Primus' and 'Made in India' on it. The business part was well-made, the rest less so, but it took a right battering over the years. They were ubiquitous Mt Kenya porters' equipment, but didn't fold down at all and so the porters used to carry them up the hill dangling on a piece of string.

It worked well until it was run over by a tank - that was a short and one-sided tussle from which there was no way back.
 GrahamD 07 Apr 2017
In reply to nniff:

> It worked well until it was run over by a tank - that was a short and one-sided tussle from which there was no way back.

PMSL.
 LastBoyScout 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Bought some North Face softshell trousers in good faith from someone on eBay. Obvious fakes when they turned up, so were immediately returned for a refund - seemed that an inexperienced chap had bought them somewhere in the Far East in equally good faith (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, anyway).

Clues included, but not limited to, poor quality embroidering of TNF logo, de-laminating pocket zips, awful quality of stitching inside the trousers, especially the pockets and general cut.

Not strictly climbing equipment and wouldn't have been "unsafe" as such, but certainly not what TNF would want flooding the market and de-valuing their brand.

Equally, I have a TNF rucksack bought in a shop in Phnom Penh for US$12 that seems pretty kosher, compared to some of the more obvious knock-offs available in the market there for US$8 - I suspect it's something like end of line from a proper factory, as I can't find any obvious flaws and it's held up pretty well for 4 years of use.
 Brass Nipples 07 Apr 2017
In reply to nniff:

> It worked well until it was run over by a tank - that was a short and one-sided tussle from which there was no way back.

That's how you know it was fake. With a real Primus the tank would have come off worse...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...