UKC

Vratsa region, Bulgaria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gregnlaura 18 Mar 2017
Hi all, I'll probably get shot down for posting this but we have something to offer and are having difficulty connecting with those who could benefit, so apologies in advance.
We are an outdoors couple who purchased a house in the country, in the Vratsa region of Bulgaria, in a phenomenal area for climbing, hiking and caving (worth Googling if you've not heard of this place).
We are leaving to work the summer in Italy as hike/cycle guides and are looking to find someone/s who could settle in and use our house from late April to mid October whilst using it as a base to climb or explore.
It's a three bedroom countryside house which sleeps 5 comfortably. It sits on the outer edge of a traditional village, on the brow of a wooded valley with a lake and forest on the doorstep and a largely unexplored cave system in the immediate vicinity. There is a large garden, a couple of hammocks, kitchen, bathroom etc.
We will also leave a large Volvo diesel estate that we're currently converting into a simple camper, with plenty of space for gear to explore further afield to places in Romania (70km), Serbia (140km), Rila, Pirin and Rhodope mountains here in BG.

The house is 1 1/2 hours from the capital, Sofia, 40 minutes from Vratsa National Park and 30 minutes to the stunningly unique climbers cave, 'The Eyes Of God'.

We were travellers ourselves and hate the idea of the house being empty when someone could make use of it. So, that said, there would be rent but it would be almost token. We can discuss this to anyone interested, we would love to give the place for free but have been stung in the past doing this, so we need to incorporate a little security for ourselves.

Anyway, we can send much fuller details to interested parties and really hope we can find someone up for the idea

Namaste
 Oceanrower 18 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

Unfortunately I can't commit long term but I wish you well finding someone.

I've been looking to buy somewhere in Bulgaria myself recently (It all seems such a bargain!) so, if no long term renter comes along, I could well be interested in renting a few weeks here and there whilst I'm searching if that would be ok.

Good luck!
gregnlaura 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

Hiya, our first priority would be one long term rental, for logistical reasons but if no-one comes along, we shall be in touch for sure.
We can't recommend this country enough, especially it's outdoors...we've never felt so much freedom anywhere to just roam and explore.
 Oceanrower 18 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

To be honest, the only thing putting me off so far is the language. Especially the Cyrillic alphabet bit!
gregnlaura 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

Haha, we have no knowledge either, but the road signs are in English and more and more Bulgarians are, luckily speaking English.
If you need any advice about moving, let us know, we'd be happy to share what we know.
 Ian65 18 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

If any climbers are interested, you may also be interested having a look at my review of the latest Vratsa climbing guide.

http://ianwyattwriting.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bulgaria_Review.pdf

Ian

sihills 18 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

If you don't find someone looking to take it longterm, (I would love to but work wont allow)
And decide to go short term, a coupe of weeks in the summer would be lovely!
gregnlaura 18 Mar 2017
Hi Sihills,

At the moment, we can keep both options open. If no long term interest comes along, Laura and I can sit down and figure out a way to keep the doors open for you guys wanting to come for a few weeks at a time. Could be a bit of a headache and would require a hell of a lot of trust and honesty between us all to leave the place clean and tidy for the next arrival but if the place could be full most of the summer with folks form UKC then I'm sure we can all work out a system that works.
To give people a heads up on the price, we we're looking at charging £150 per week, for the entire house, not just per person and includes the car. You guys would have to pay your small utility bills Elec, water and internet. In the summer, they total approx €25 per person per month.
Depending on occupants, we can move on the price. We want it to be fair for all

gregnlaura 30 Mar 2017
Due to our imminent departure date and the continuing dedication to finding someone to use our place as a climbing base for an extended period this summer, weve halved the price to £300 per month in total, including use of the car to get to the crags.

If you or anyone you know would be keen on this kind of idea, let us know.

Kind regards

GDes 30 Mar 2017
What's the area like in July August?very hot or reasonable for climbing? Sounds like a fascinating place
 payney1973 30 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

Just back from Vratsa, it is AWESOME!!!!!
gregnlaura 31 Mar 2017
Summer in Bulgaria is warm for sure but there is an abundance of climbing in cooler situations. I.e. Commenting on a few areas I know, Prohodna cave (the eyes of god) has many routes inside it and at a constant cooler temperature. Vratsa valley there are routes dotted all along the roadside which are amongst the trees so partially covered.
Then there is incredible Belogradchik, for a multi day trip to the north of us, that we've just returned from, red rock pillar climbing so again, some routes shaded.
Definitely sunscreen and protection advised as it will get hot.
 Jandwilson 31 Mar 2017
In reply to gregnlaura:

Sent you a email, let me know if it went through

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...