UKC

Salomon Soft Flasks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 19 Mar 2017
My Salomon vest is great for long distances. But the soft flasks which work well for me conceptually leak at their "shoulder" near the mouth piece. I've replaced the original pair once, about 10 months ago, but the replacement set leaks as well. If I was more organised and could remember where I bought them from I would return them. But instead I've just patched them up now and again with tape. Any thoughts on alternative soft flask replacements that don't leak and would fit the existing 0.5l pockets on the Salomon vest. Or if I bought new flasks, does anybody know if Salomon have sorted out the propensity to leak in newer flasks. Any advice or information appreciated.
 SouthernSteve 19 Mar 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

I have 4 of these in the house (2 people) and we are not having problems with leakage. I presume these are the soft blue 500ml ones that come with there running vests. We have some Montane 'flasks' of a similar nature and those would fit if you wanted to change, being perhaps a little tighter. Have you tried contacting Salomon directly?
 pyrrho101 19 Mar 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

I'm afraid I can't answer the question, but I thought I'd contribute to say that I've also got 4 and 2 of them leak as you described. Two are the old type and two came with the new 2017 vest. One of each leaks! I still run with them as I find they only leak if squeezed quite hard. Please post back if you find something that fits - especially if you find something with a wider opening (for powders).

steelbru 19 Mar 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Not had any problems with leaks and been using the Salomon flasks for about 3 or 4 years.

For wider openings ( wide enough for ice cubes ! ) you want to try the Ultimate Direction Body Bottle Plus ( note the Plus, they do a non Plus version which is smaller ), but I think the overall flask is wider and shorter so may not fit in the Salomon vest pockets
https://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Ultimate-Direction-BODY-BOTTLE-PL...
 markk 19 Mar 2017
In reply to steelbru:

I have a couple of the UD Body Bottle Plus, one of which has just started leaking at the seam (only been using it for 6 months) so they might not be your best answer anyway.
OP alastairmac 20 Mar 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Thanks for all the responses. All really helpful. I think I might try the montane flasks. I'll report back!
 yorkshireman 21 Mar 2017
In reply to steelbru:

> For wider openings ( wide enough for ice cubes ! ) you want to try the Ultimate Direction Body Bottle Plus

I've got the UD AK 3.0 with the wide necked flasks and my wife has the Salomon vest with the same flasks as the OP. They technically fit but they'll flop out too much I think to be useful.

You could try these as a third party replacement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docooler-Foldable-Sports-Running-Hydration/dp/B01M...

I read a read a thread on the URC Facebook page and they came highly recommended and can be found even cheaper from eBay suppliers. You can also get the Raidlight-style 'push to drink' straw versions.
Ferret 21 Mar 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

I've tried these via Ebay and so far, out of 4 bought 2 are leaking with a handful of uses and 2 are untried.

Of course, in the world of fakes and look a-likes I may have fake ones and these could be great... who can tell? I was struggling to justify near on £18 each on genuine Salomon ones and didn't fancy what were probably fake Saolon on ebay from far east so thought I'd try cheap ones that were at least honest about not being Salomon to see what happened. Waste of time so far. But I still struggle with £18 for Salomon ones. Fair enough my originals lasted well but they still burst eventually despite careful use and they are just plasticy bottles for heavens sake! I think my race vest with 2 bottles cost £100 and around 40% of that cast in the bottles seemed crazy!

I just wish I could find a mid priced, non brand name equivalent that doesn't leak... or at least lasts a similar time to my originals. I didn't want super cheap Chinese ebay imports but equally I didn't fancy £36 on a new pair of genuine.

No idea what to do to replace mine now.....
 Ridge 21 Mar 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks for the link to the soft flasks. Seem a decent price.
 mikecopp 31 Mar 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Fill out the warranty form. I had a brand new flask (new season model pre release) arrive at my door two days later! Excellent customer service.

https://hydrapak.com/warranty/salomon

OP alastairmac 01 Apr 2017
In reply to mikecopp:

Thanks. That's really helpful.
 markk 01 Apr 2017
In reply to mikecopp:

Hydrapak make the UD bottles as well - I've just had a replacement from them for my leaking softflask - their customer service was first class.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...