UKC

Bolting a steel girder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 20 Mar 2017
Hi Folks

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of bolts to use to put some bolt hangers on to a steel girder? I know nuts and bolts have different ratings but im no engineer so i don't really understand them.

Or even a pointer for the right place to look. Ive tried googling but i can only find info on bolting in to rock

Cheers

David
 Steve Perry 20 Mar 2017
In reply to climber david: Are the bolts just for lowering off?

Steve Perry 20 Mar 2017
In reply to climber david: If you put grade 8.8 bolts in you'll be well covered.

OP climber david 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:

The bolts are actually for ground anchors although depending on whats available we may also consider using bolts for top rope anchors as well
In reply to Steve Perry:

Thanks Steve
 jimtitt 20 Mar 2017
In reply to climber david:
Indoors any 10mm or 12mm 8.8 marked steel bolt will be fine depending on the hole size (with washers please). Alternatively an appropriate A2 stainless bolt.
Outdoors you will have to worry about corrosion between the two different metals if they are stainless hangers and should change to plated steel ones.
Post edited at 10:33
In reply to jimtitt:

cheers Jim. They'll be getting put inside so hopefully corrosion won't be an issue. Am I right in thinking that grade 8.8 bolts are alloy steel and grade A2 bolts are stainless steel? If they're inside and corrosion isn't an issue will there be no real difference between using stainless or alloy steels?
 jkarran 20 Mar 2017
In reply to climber david:

8.8 will be bright plated high strength steel, A2 is 304 stainless steel. Stainless costs more and is more prone to galling. I've always found button heads are easier to find in stainless if that matters to you.
jk
In reply to jkarran:

Cheers Jkarran, think I've got it now. Thanks for your help everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...