UKC

Backpacking with trail running shoes and Gore-tex socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikesuth 23 Mar 2017
In a serious effort to shed weight and try to aid better drying feet, I've decided to trial trekking with trail running shoes and Gore-tex socks. With a view to doing the Cape Wrath Trail, the acceptance is that your feet will become wet due to the boggy nature of the ground and numerous river crossings. While boots, once full of water, remain full, highly breathable trail shoes allow water to drain away and may lead to drier feet in the long run. Meanwhile GTX socks go some way to providing some water resistance and warmth to feet. Of course this comes at the expense of loss of the extra support boots provide, however reduction in weight of footwear should provide a substantial energy saving over the course of a few weeks.
I just wondered if anyone else has tried out this type of arrangement? Any recommendations when it comes to Gore-tex socks?
 GarethSL 23 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

I have a pair of MOD gore Tex socks. They are nice but are a pain to keep up. Sealskinz are also quite highly rated and probably more comfortable!
 Simon Caldwell 23 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

I use Sealskinz in the winter, and they're great. They always leak in the end, but keep the water inside the sock giving it a chance to warm up.
But for the rest of the year I think they'd be too hot, even last weekend in solid Welsh rain they were a bit much. I then wear thinner non-waterproof socks. I find an occasional soaking helps keep my feet cool and is rather pleasant! For multi-day trips I'll have a spare dry pair for overnight use.
 stubbed 23 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

I have sealskin socks (waterproof) and they are good but once they let in water for whatever reason, which eventually they will if you wade through rivers, they tend to hold it all. So my feet end up in boats of water. For mud / light rain they can be effective though.

My preference is for trail running shoes but with merino socks (I use cycling merino socks) which keep my feet warm even when wet. I suffer from chilblains so I'm pretty obsessed with keeping my feet warm.
Moley 23 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

Living in mid Wales i gave up worrying about wet feet 30 years ago, i wear trainers and lite socks every day, i have wet feet every day and once used to it i don't give my feet a seconds thought. Boggiest ground, stream crossings i just go straight through - so much easier than stressing about getting your feet wet.
Only uncomfortable bit is when camping, putting the wet socks and trainers on in the morning
I have used sealskins in very cold weather, mine are very old and leak but act a bit like a wetsuit to keep my feet warm, couldn't wear them in warm weather.
 digby 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I use Sealskinz in the winter, and they're great. They always leak in the end,

Correction - they always leak immediately! At least they are fairly warm, being lined with merino wool. Though maybe not so warm first thing in the morning.

More-On 23 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

I've used the good wool socks and fell running shoes combo for 20 odd years without issue.

One tip: take plastic bags to slip over your spare dry socks if you need to wear your wet shoes in the evening. That way you've always got a dry warm pair of socks for sleeping in etc. That way two pairs does you for even two week trips.
 alexm198 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

My experience with Sealskinz is similar - when the water gets in (it will) it at least becomes warm after a while. And yes, it's refreshing to get a nice blast of cold puddle now and again!
 smithg 24 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

Trail shoes will be fine if you haven't got weak ankles.

I'd avoid wearing goretex socks on the go, as your feet will sweat a lot and become just as damp (prone to blisters/immersion foot/etc). Multiple pairs of normal (quick drying) socks are a better option, so you can rotate them and hopefully have a dry pair for when you need them.

The goretex socks are better for wearing round camp (or use plastic bags as suggested) to allow your feet to dry out and hopefully your trainers too.

Best to get out and trial things even if only for an hour or so to see what works for you before committing to a long trip.
 Flinticus 27 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

Don't know if the boots contributed to it, but I was backpacking with merrell mids, light and flexible. I stepped over a collapsed stone wall, placing my left foot on what looked to be a well settled rock (grass sprouting around it) only for it to shift once my weight was on it. Broke my ankle. I now wear something like Asolo Flame when carrying a big load.
Footloose 28 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:

Trail-running shoes didn't work for me when I tried long-distance walking in them. They're designed for running, where your momentum keeps your weight forwards. Long-distance walking uses your muscles differently, especially when you're carrying a pack (and I couldn't keep mine below 12kg for those first few days on the Cape Wrath Trail where there are no shops unless you detour to KLB and none after that anyway). I ended up with an ankle problem that needed physio to fix.

I solved the lightweight footwear problem with Salomon approach shoes. I've done several hundred miles in them in rough terrain and they're superb. I don't use anything else now.

But in terms of wet feet, best not to assume that you'll ever have dry feet on this particular trail! It's not just the river crossings - much of the route is soggy most of the year. Good socks are critical if you want to avoid blisters.

It's a breathtaking place though - enjoy!
 colinakmc 28 Mar 2017
In reply to mikesuth:
I sometimes wear Inov8's on the hills and yes, water goes straight through them. However the wet socks then warm up so mostly my feet are fairly comfy Don't know how well the skin would last over several days, though.

Other thing to be aware of is that they're not good in autumn snow - I had a memorable day in the Fannichs which lost me 3 toenails to frostnip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...