UKC

Rope access training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pbob 27 Mar 2017
Ok. Too lazy to sift through google search results...

Is there a basic qualification in rope access? Is it expensive/and time consuming to get?

Thanks
 riddle 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Pbob:

In the spirit of your post.

Yes. Depends/ and no.
 Big Ger 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Pbob:

What he said.

OP Pbob 27 Mar 2017
In reply to riddle:

I asked for that
 payney1973 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Pbob:
Basic qual is IRATA Level 1, cost £600-800
5 day course.
Problem is rope access is only a means of getting to the work, there will be few if any jobs that you can do soley with IRATA 1.............and that is where the cost will increase.
What are your thoughts? What were your reasons for asking?

riddle 29 Mar 2017
In reply to payney1973:

You can get a course for £400-£600 with a bit of searching.

Telecoms, Wind, sector seem to the largest growth currently, at least for rope access. You will need to factor in the Arqiva gateway courses, or the GWO/RUK courses alongside the offshore survival for these two sectors.

It may be possible to get regular work on the railways, inspection, geotechnical works. If you can pass a drugs test, and find a sponsor for the PTS you could be in regular work.

There are more than 100,000 registered Tech's in the world. So you need a CV that is easy to read, a skill set that is a 'must have,' and be determined.

Having said that, the work is hard but rewarding. What could be better than watching the sunrise from the top of the Shard. Or spending a few weeks on a rock face on the south coast...
OP Pbob 29 Mar 2017
In reply to payney1973:

I'm looking at a research project which will probably involve me spending some time hanging on an abseil in a quarry. The project is to do with my profession (hydrogeology) but no one is paying me to do it. My employer ha said they might subsidise some kit to make it more comfortable/safe than just using my climbing gear. E.g. petzl stop and a nice thick static rope. But I doubt that they will since I haven't got any quzlifications to use the gear. NB I'm satisfied I know what I'm doing. Having looked at it a bit more, I think that I would need an IRATA level 3. Probably easier to do some overtime and just buy the kit myself. The main issue I'm faced with now is that the quarry has been active within the last 20 years I think. The faces could well be unstable. All the guidance I've seen suggests using a lot of caution but I'm struggling to find anything which describes how to identify the safest line.
 payney1973 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Pbob:

Mate the gear is eye wateringly expensive and to be really honest no harness is that comfy after hanging for 30 min, suspension trauma is always a danger.
If what youre doing hasnt got the overall thumbs up safety wise then as long as you can set up an abseil then that should be enough as opposed to spending lots of cash on quals,
An IRATA Level 3 wouldnt help you unless you were at least a level one, then i suppose they would have to RA the job and may still say no.
I will stop short of advising what to do or use, what evr you choose to do be safe and dont go alone.
If that makes no sense apologies i was just throwing thoughts out as they came, ive just qualled in IRATA 1 and lots of RUK/GWOs but what you sound like youre doing would be out of my remit.
OP Pbob 29 Mar 2017
In reply to payney1973:

Thanks for that. It's going to be a case of turning up, engaging brain and being prepared to go home to rethink if necessary. I'll probably forget the idea of work paying for kit. More hassle than it's worth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...