UKC

Activities for kids - Yorkshire/Nidderdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 02 Apr 2017
It's looking like Easter will be with the in-laws, but "offsite" to avoid (or at least reduce...) the son/mother-in-law tensions. We are probably going for a cottage somewhere in Yorkshire/Nidderdale area - yes there are still some available - but does anyone, local or otherwise, know of anything for 4 year old children to do in the area, anything from swimming pools to a local railway with a Thomas the Tank Engine theme??!

Thanks
 BnB 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

Diggerland!!

climbwhenready 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:
Depends which bit of Nidderdale, but a list of things that aren't in Nidderdale but are close by in the Dales are:

Stump Cross Caverns
Billy Bob's
Walks in the Bolton Abbey estate
Troller's Gill (might still be flooded from winter)
The Embsay-Bolton Abbey steam railway (n.b. if you are thinking of going to Bolton Abbey as part of this, the Bolton Abbey station would be better named 'Bolton Abbey Parkway' as part of my theory that 'Parkway' means 'nowhere near')
Post edited at 17:19
OP Nic 02 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Diggerland!!

Hmm, yes, that's Dad sorted, but still struggling for the kids...
ceri 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

I was going to suggest How Stean Gorge and Brimham rocks...
http://uppernidderdale.org.uk/visit-nidderdale/things-to-do/
 summo 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

Newby hall near ripon.
 wercat 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

a little bit up the Road but there is a railway museum in Shildon (where all of the A4 locomotives were gathered a year or so ago), as well as the obvious main one in York.
 johnjohn 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

http://www.theforbiddencorner.co.uk/

Not too far away and kids (of all ages...) will enjoy this.
 wercat 03 Apr 2017
In reply to johnjohn:

yes, our kids had school trips there and raved about it
In reply to wercat:

I stayed at How Stean Gorgw camping last week. Might be a bit limited for 4 year olds. Studfold farm just 100m down the road were advertisind nature trail eastegg hunts and outdoor arty crafty kids stuff coming up.

Pately bridge has a swimming pool and i noticed a milkshake waffle pancake place!!
 johnjohn 03 Apr 2017
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

and Pately Bridge also has: https://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/ (the oldest sweetshop in the world. Apparently. And then cycle up and down Greenhow a few times.)
OP Nic 03 Apr 2017
Great, thanks to all - certainly enough to keep us busy for 3 days. Might get a short trip to Brimham in just to nostalgically finger some grit!

johnjohn 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:
...of all the above with possible exception of Forbidden Corner, I think Brimham was my kids' favorite. They love finding their way to the top of the different rocks (finding their way down again not always being so easy). A little worrying, but most of them appear to survive.

(Editing to say the past tense is because my kids are no longer kids, technically speaking, not that they're still stuck on top of Druid's Altar.)
Post edited at 12:06
 Wingnut 03 Apr 2017
In reply to johnjohn:

Various holes there for kids to wriggle through as well. (o::
 andy 03 Apr 2017
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Depends which bit of Nidderdale, but a list of things that aren't in Nidderdale but are close by in the Dales are:Stump Cross CavernsBilly Bob'sWalks in the Bolton Abbey estateTroller's Gill (might still be flooded from winter)The Embsay-Bolton Abbey steam railway (n.b. if you are thinking of going to Bolton Abbey as part of this, the Bolton Abbey station would be better named 'Bolton Abbey Parkway' as part of my theory that 'Parkway' means 'nowhere near')

You can have quite a good day for kids near us - the steam railway in Embsay, then Hesketh Farm which is one of the better ones of the genre, and the Yorkshire Dales ice-cream farm (Billy Bob's) has a splendid "play barn" with ropes and swings, plus a good playground. And the Bolton Abbey estate usually do an easter egg hunt or something down at the Cavendish Pavilion as well. So that's four good activities within about 4 miles of each other.
 climbwhenready 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

> Might get a short trip to Brimham in just to nostalgically finger some grit!

Sounds a bit RUDE, doesn't it.
 hang_about 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Nic:

Llama trekking (or maybe just go and see the llamas).
Say hi to Noodle for me....
Nidderdale llamas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...