UKC

ME xero 550 advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stew1803 05 Apr 2017
Hi all

I'm looking at getting a good quality down bag, something lighter than my bulky cheap synthetic one, and I see these ME xero 550's for around £300. Which is about as much as I want to spend.
I prefer to be a bit cold when sleeping, and this bag would be used in spring, autumn and possibly mild winters in Scotland.

Is it overkill or not enough?

Obviously will be used with a good mat and possibly a bivvy bag for a bit of protection more than anything else.
 IPPurewater 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Stew1803:

The comfort rating is minus 1. You'd need to wear clothing in it in winter I expect.
In reply to IPPurewater:

It's a top notch bag I've had it to -7c on a couple of times around Glencoe
With a Rab Silk Liner Most M.e Bags seem to be overfilled! Think it's now
Discontinued so should be picked up much cheaper
 Andy Johnson 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Stew1803:
I good choice of bag, but I agree with @IPPurewater that it would be ok for Spring to Autumn but I'd be surprised if it was suitable for Scottish winter conditions - even mild/lowlevel. I don't think that four season sleeping bags really exist, but putting it inside a bivvy bag should increase the warmth enough. I personally don't like internal liners that as I always get them wrapped around my body.

I have a Xero 200 and its a good, well-made bag for its weight. It is quite snug, though, which can be uncomfortable if you like some wriggle room when sleeping, and it limits the amount of clothing you can wear inside it. The 550 looks to be a similar shape.

I have three ME down bags of different weights and they're all well designed and made, quality kit.
Post edited at 09:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...