UKC

Spring to autumn active insulation for mid/outer layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 06 Apr 2017

Opinions please...

Have now moved to using a Patagonia Nano Air as my only winter layer over a base layer (excepting a waterproof and belay jacket when/if needed) and am looking for something in the same vein but obviously lighter to use through the spring to autumn.

Have been looking at the Rab Vapour Alpine and Rab Alpha Flux, which seem to both do about the same job. Any opinions on which of these is better, or other alternatives?
Post edited at 21:18
 Pina 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I'm a big fan of the alpha flux just now. Been using it for the past few months and have found it ideal for pretty much all active things where a bit of wind resistance is also useful. Only thing I don't like about it is the durability. One visit to Northumberland was enough to pull some of the threads.
 Pipecleaner 07 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I've used a nano air over a base for last two winters too...works a treat.

Rest of the spring and cooler summer days I'm normally in a 180gsm merino long sleeve with a ME squall jacket...on the move it's not too hot but keeps the wind out a good bit...the jacket can come off if too hot. Arcteryx atom sl might be worth a look...pricey tho!
 BnB 07 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

As another massive fan of the Nano Air I've just acquired its milder weather little sister:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-nano-air-light-hybrid-jacket/84345.ht...

Heading up the Ben and similar destinations in it today and over the weekend. Can you wait 3 days for a review?

First thoughts would describe it less as a jacket, more like a lightly insulated track suit top. How does it perform? I'll know very soon.
OP JayPee630 07 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

Cheers, yeah that'd be ace, thanks. Also looking at the Nano Air Light hoody which looks a good warmer weather alternative.
 wbo 07 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Where and what for? I just used my nano air and a thinner synthetic or merino t shirt last year outside winter
 yoshis1220 07 Apr 2017
In reply to wbo:

the arcteryx proton lt is a good shout too. pricey (not in a sale) and seems pretty bombproof in comparison to the patagonia nano air.
 BnB 09 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

Update. Wore the Nano Hybrid thingy up Tower Ridge on Friday and the Pinnacle Ridge of Garbh Bheinn yesterday.

Friday was mild on the walk-in and with intermittent drizzle it was one of those maddening approaches when no combination of garments seemed to produce all round comfort. The jacket was comfortable over a short sleeved tee shirt in the dry but not sufficiently weatherproof for the drizzle. Too warm under a hardshell but who enjoys a cold, wet hardshell on your bare arms? A long sleeved baselayer would have fixed that, but then wouldn't work under the hybrid jacket.

Once established on the ridge however, the temperature had dropped sufficiently for three layers under the harness and a really stable, comfortable body temperature prevailed for the trip to the summit and the walk out. Never once was I cold when we pitched the harder sections, nor did I overheat as we moved together over most of the ridge.

I'll add one caveat however. The drizzle persisted until the Little Tower and, while completely dry inside my shell, the inner arms, shielded only by the thin breathable inside forearm patterning, suffered conduction from the cold, damp exterior of the shell. Not disastrously, but certainly enough to remark on it. Scottish winter, in which the full Nano Air excels like nothing else, is probably not the natural home for its little sister. The Alps probably more so.

Yesterday, before the day transformed into summer, was a nice dry spring day with a steady breeze. Too warm for the trudge along the valley, I donned the hybrid jacket as we hit the ridge and the wind picked up. It was immediately apparent that here was the ideal environment. Breezy and dry. The perfect sensation of featherlight insulation and complete breathability. Somehow I was never conscious of the extra breathable arm and body panels, and the cut of the jacket seemed to beat off the wind with its more weatherproof segments. Simply superb. This would be a great mountain cragging piece, especially as I was continually aware how often the extra durable darts on the inner sleeve made contact with the rock. A really thoughtful detail.

So I'd recommend for spring/autumn excursions, but keep a thin long-sleeved tee in the sac to wear under your shell when you're pumping out heat in the rain.
 olddirtydoggy 09 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Softshell jacket with pit zips? ME still do some great ones. Personally find these insulators clammy on the move.
 BnB 10 Apr 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
> Softshell jacket with pit zips? ME still do some great ones. Personally find these insulators clammy on the move.

Sounds like you haven't tried the FullRange insulation in the Nano Air series then. It's anything but clammy. The clue is in the OP and subsequent posts where all NA owners agree it's brilliant. The OP just wants something similar but lighter.

If it's 20 degrees and sunny of course, then you'd just be in a tee shirt.
Post edited at 08:18
OP JayPee630 10 Apr 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:
Nope, over softshells like that now. (And barely ever wear traditional fleece now either come to think of it.) Base layer then an active insulation layer gets me through 90% of what's needed.
Post edited at 09:09
 angry pirate 10 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I'm a massive fan of the berghaus hypertherm hoody for all day insulation in milder weather. Microfleece ish warmth, windproof outer and really breathable. Not sure whether it's still available as they have brought out a beefed up version this winter.
 nniff 10 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Thin fleece, thin wooly jumper and a Montane featherlite smock. Baselayer and/or t shirt as conditions dictate. Endless variations on a theme.
OP JayPee630 10 Apr 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

Do you get clammy in it?
OP JayPee630 10 Apr 2017
In reply to nniff:

Nah, done that for years and really like the simplicity of one lightly insulated garment now on top of a baselayer. If it breathes well I can regulate my temp with the zips and it's simpler, less faff, and nicer to wear/move in.
 angry pirate 10 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Not so far and I've worn it for some fairly aerobic stuff. Normally I'm a fleece and windproof wearer and this is more versatile. The reversible feature is less of a gimmick than I expected and if it's warm i have found myself wearing it with the non windproof side outside so it sheds heat.
It is great under a Goretex too but it is very thin fabric so I keep it well away from the grit. I'm a little wary of rucksack wear too but so far so good.
 nniff 10 Apr 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

> Nah, done that for years and really like the simplicity of one lightly insulated garment now on top of a baselayer. If it breathes well I can regulate my temp with the zips and it's simpler, less faff, and nicer to wear/move in.

And I dislike the simplicity of being too hot or too cold - I run hot and get chilly when I'm hanging around, and so a range of weigh-nothing layers to cover all eventualities does it for me. All long sleeve layers will tie around one's waist, but the smock will fit in a back pocket; a t-shirt can be threaded onto a chalk bag belt. Standard winter walk-in attire for me is baselayer and the featherlite smock or a thin fleece, so adding in the t-shirt and woolly jumper gives full-day flexibility for spring to autumn. Early spring or autumn - add a buff.
 Aquinn 05 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
> Cheers, yeah that'd be ace, thanks. Also looking at the Nano Air Light hoody which looks a good warmer weather alternative.

Just got one of them the other day. Have found you can feel a lot of wind through it, even in a lighter breeze- might be down to just wearing a tshirt under it . Still unsure about it at the moment - though a bit disappointed considering the price!

BnB 05 May 2017
In reply to Aquinn:

> Just got one of them the other day. Have found you can feel a lot of wind through it, even in a lighter breeze- might be down to just wearing a tshirt under it . Still unsure about it at the moment - though a bit disappointed considering the pricE

You're meant to feel like the wind through it!! It's designed to be teamed with a windshirt if you're not cracking on. Though I would suggest that this week's NEerly calls almost for its big brother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...