UKC

Shared ownership?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 13 Apr 2017
Following on from my recent "campervan" thread, a post in the "When I retire..." thread got me thinking.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=662026

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a "shared ownership" or "time share" campervan? One which is jointly owned by a group, (preferably mates,) who take it in turns to use it, and share maintenance and other costs.

The farmer whose land my house is on has already offered me garaging for any potential campervan I buy, at the princely sum of two weeks use of it per year.

Thoughts?

Stichtplate 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Can't see any problem as long as you're happy to compromise and aren't at all argumentative
OP Big Ger 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

That's me to a "T" , ask anyone!
 Toerag 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
You need everything written down in a contract of some sort so there's no possibility of anyone shirking their responsibilities in the event of things not going swimmingly. Even if your mate / farmer knows and accepts the risks, if something happens to them their family or insurers may not be so agreeable.
Post edited at 11:44
 john arran 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

There are plenty of rent-your-car-out sites around now that I'd look into. They will have the insurance angle well covered so you may be able to rent it out to the farmer for a nominal fee without major concerns.
 gethin_allen 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

What happens when spomething gets broken? does he just say well that's wear and tear, or that's what I'm paying in kind (by giving you garaging) for leaving you to pick up the bill.

Unless it's all on paper this could be the end of a friendship.
 Dax H 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

A mate does it with a plane.
His contract is that any damage is the current user's responsibility and maintenance and wear and tear are covered by a annual fee that all parties kick in to.
 wbo 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger: I know plenty of people who do it with hyttes. Get a contract written and don't take the p

abseil 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> ....Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a "shared ownership" or "time share" campervan? ....The farmer whose land my house is on has already offered me garaging for any potential campervan I buy, at the princely sum of two weeks use of it per year. Thoughts?

Sorry to rain on your idea [??} but I personally wouldn't touch shared ownership with friends with a bargepole: I've heard of problems with that, e.g. [1] when one person wants to sell up but the others don't want to, [2] who pays the bills and how do you collect when others are slow paying.

Did the farmer say what weeks he/she wants it? I would have that agreed in writing.

Good luck anyway and have fun.
Lusk 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Dax H:
> A mate does it with a plane.

A friend's Dad used to have shared ownership in a glider, when we were young (sigh).

In Reply to gethin_allen:

> What happens when something gets broken? does he just say well that's wear and tear, or that's what I'm paying in kind (by giving you garaging) for leaving you to pick up the bill. Unless it's all on paper this could be the end of a friendship.

If that's going to be their attitude, they're probably not worth having as friends.
Post edited at 20:22
OP Big Ger 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Thanks all for the thoughts. I have to agree with Lusk, when s/he says;

> What happens when something gets broken? does he just say well that's wear and tear, or that's what I'm paying in kind (by giving you garaging) for leaving you to pick up the bill. Unless it's all on paper this could be the end of a friendship.

> If that's going to be their attitude, they're probably not worth having as friends.
 toad 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
Think it's more common with boats. I share ownership of a boat with my in law. Mostly works fine. Lots of people have them as timeshares

She also has a massive elderly hymer (ooh er missus) that she's been badgering me to use, but it's so big, old and frankly insanely dangerous that I wouldn't go near it with my barge pole. It's also the most colossally antisocial vehicle ever to be taken on a country road. If she got something a bit smaller and funkier, I might take her up on the offer
Post edited at 08:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...