UKC

surprise view parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RHINOS 13 Apr 2017
im intending to climb at lawrencefield on saturday and i havnt been here for a while and i was wondering if that car parking meter was still credit card only or cash
credit cards in meters are a pain in the ........
 ActionSte 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RHINOS:

still cards
 mrphilipoldham 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RHINOS:

There's always the lay-by down the hill towards Hathersage on the right
 Offwidth 13 Apr 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

You would ask a climber to walk further???
 mrphilipoldham 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I did hesitate over the 'submit message' button for a good while!
 Dave the Rave 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RHINOS:

Its a Surprise?
 deepsoup 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RHINOS:
Yep, card only I'm afraid, and even more crappy than your average card-only machine.

Also, a heads up regarding both Surprise View and the Plantation - the PDNPA in their wisdom have decided to start enforcing the charges for the first time ever, and have outsourced the job to one of those companies we all love to hate. The zealots in hi-viz will start turning up and dishing out the tickets any day now (if they haven't already).
 olddirtydoggy 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RHINOS:

Never paid for parking and never paid a fine. That carpark used to be a dirt track pull in once upon a time and then somebody put a gate and a machine in it. I don't remember agreeing to that.
 johncook 13 Apr 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

There was a van there today as I drove past. A high vis jacket was walking round looking at cars. Hope no-one got caught! Apparently it is part of the PDNPA plan to make money out of the tourists, or scare them away.
The £15 Stanage sticker for the plantation ended on the 1st of April so be careful down there as well. You can now buy a park-wide pass but it is somewhat more expensive. ( Can't remember the price quoted!)
I expect that all parking spaces in the PDNPA area will soon have machines and be patrolled by parking officers in the very near future.
 Offwidth 14 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

I suspect the 'super-glue problem' will soon be back as well. Hard to make money when the expensive machine is always broken as soon as it is repaired/replaced. There are usually not enough people parking to justify the pay of a real person (and little profit to be had even if there are). Under the old system where most people paid (and no one got chased for fees if they didn't), this form of protest stopped and I suspect parking income after costs will have been at its maximum possible.
 slab_happy 14 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

> There was a van there today as I drove past. A high vis jacket was walking round looking at cars. Hope no-one got caught!

That seems especially unfair since I heard the machine actually was broken yesterday.

> You can now buy a park-wide pass but it is somewhat more expensive. ( Can't remember the price quoted!)

£40 unless you're resident within the park boundaries or a senior citizen:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/parking

The BMC area newsletter has some pretty blunt commentary:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/peak-area-newsletter-april-2017?s=5
 deepsoup 14 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:
> You can now buy a park-wide pass but it is somewhat more expensive. ( Can't remember the price quoted!)

Their 'park-wide' parking permit isn't new, it's been around for many years. Any suggestion it was introduced to replace the Stanage sticker is completely untrue. (I gather someone from the PDNPA was trying to say that in response to protests at their withdrawal of support for the Stanage sticker - barefaced lie.)

Current prices are £40 a year for most of us, £30 if you're over 60 and £25 if you live inside the Peak park boundary:
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/parking

I'm sure Offwidth is right, as an attempt to raise more money out of the Plantation and Surprise View car parks this will most likely turn out to be entirely counterproductive.
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that there was a Peak-wide permit. I've just applied for mine and at 50p per week its an absolute bargain with mid-week afterwork sessions starting with the longer daylight. 80p per week is still a bargain if you live outside the area.
 nigel n 14 Apr 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

Interesting how people are happy to spend a small fortune on clothes, transport and gear but don't want to pay for parking - even when this money is used for projects in the Park.
 slab_happy 14 Apr 2017
In reply to nigel n:

I think one of the issues is that people *were* paying for the Stanage sticker, which was apparently working well and which people were very positive about. So unilaterally abolishing that is causing some disgruntlement.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...