UKC

Stretching your rock shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
siobhan66 16 Apr 2017
Hi there
Hope I am not in the wrong forum here...I posted(back in January) looking for advice about climbing after an ankle and toe fusion op I had back in November 2016 and I am grateful for the replies received.
Anyway I have bought new shoes Anasazi Guides two sizes up to accomodate my new foot but they are still painful and was wondering if any body has ever used a shoe stretcher to any good affect on their rock shoes? (quite expensive business this, as if I go any bigger I will effectively be buying one shoe as the other one will be too big!)
Since my operation I have seconded a couple of easy routes wearing an old size 9 with my usual anasazi greens size 6 so I know climbing is possible
 Michael Gordon 16 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

I guess you could get the next size up and wear a sock on the uninjured foot?
 rgold 16 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:
I've used a Theracane, in combination with shoe-stretching liquid, to good effect to stretch out specific pressure points in leather shoes on the top toe knuckles. The Theracane is a plastic device shaped like a shephard's crook and is intended for self-massage. But the ball at the end of the crook is a good shape for stretching, and the cane configuration gives you a lot of leverage for pressing on a point to be stretched.

If the upper is synthetic and/or the fit problem is not one of specific pressure points, I don't think my experience will be of much use.

It may no longer be true, but there was a time when Evolv would sell you two different-sized shoes. The price was more than the regular price for a pair, but not double the pair price either. Probably the best choice is custom climbing shoes. There is a place in the US ( Kn Climbing, https://knclimbing.com/ ) that does it, but there are currently updating their sizing process and aren't taking orders. Perhaps there are UK or European cobblers who also do this kind of work?
Post edited at 16:48
siobhan66 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thanks for your reply Michael but I have already gone two sizes up!
 Fruit 16 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

My Nan used to run a shoe shop, she had a clever shoe stretching device in the shop for folks to see, but in the cellar she had a stout broom handle, the rounded end of which, in the right hands, was perfect for stretching and shaping uncomfortable shoes. I still employ the same technique if I have a tight spot in a shoe.

Go careful to start, but you can use quite a bit of force, either at a point or by 'massaging' the troublesome area around. Hold the brush head on the floor, with your feet, and sort of pull/push the shoe down onto the handle. Make sense?

Cheers
 GrahamD 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

Not necessarily helpful but my wife briefly experimented with bigger shoes after a toe fusing operation and eventually came to the conclusion that what she actually needed was more toe protection than room because stubbing an unyielding toe was excruciating. For her stiffer shoes were a better option than bigger ones.
siobhan66 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Fruit:

Thanks for this...really interesting to know, not just for rock shoes but any shoes!
siobhan66 18 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Thanks for your reply...this makes total sense, however I am going to have swelling for at least another 6 months (hence needing a size up)but yes a stiffer shoe like the Ansazi Guide will certainly avoid the inevitable toe stubbing pain.I have two fused toes so I can empathise with your wife. As of yesterday I have decided to go and try shoes on ...sounds obvious I know, but it's not as straight forward as I thought !
 Fruit 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

Go easy to start with
 Steve Perry 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66: I heard this works but I've never tried it - pack the shoe with paper really tight, ram it in! Now soak it with water, giving it plenty of time to saturate right through to the toe area. Ok, done all that, so here we go, chuck it in your freezer over night and best of luck.....gulp.
 hedgepig 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

Sometimes shops have 2 odd shoes because they have sold the other odd pair by mistake. I found this in Moutain Spirit in Aviemore looking at walking boots. Or you may have a mirror image twin on UKC who needs the bigger shoe on the other foot.
I've never managed to stretch shoes enough to make a difference - I have one foot just a teeny bit bigger than the other, which is murder in very technical boots (but I don't use v technical boots these days).
 Kevster 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

A couple of other options. Maybe combine them given your injury.

Have someone with bigger feet use them.
put shoes on a plastic bag, immerse in hot water (not so hot you'll scold). Only a minute or so is enough.take them out the bag, quickly put them on, then squat down so the shoes stretch on your feet. Repeat.

2 sizes is quite a lot. I do wonder if you stretch the outer but the sole stays the same size if all that'll happen is your toes will bulge over the sole, losing a decent edge and just wearing them out quickly.

Another thought, cutting the ankle rand will on some shoes increase the size, and also less agressively bunch your toes up.
 The Lemming 18 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

You could make plastercast moulds of your feet and then put those into your rock shoes.

That way you can stretch and mould your shoes to your foot shape 24/7, with no pain or effort.
siobhan66 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Kevster:

thanks alot for your reply...yes I forgot about the hot water/plastic bag option...I have done this in the past. This time however I am going to return the new shoes instead of stretching as I think the sole is not long enough and try on some shoes in a shop...online is no use in my case.

Thanks
 Wayne S 20 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

Hi,

Good luck with the shoe hunt. Just thought I would add, and it's silly simple! I have wide feet and find really slackening the laces at the toe end to the point you have locked off slack really helps new shoes bulge and slacken. Hopefully that makes sense, as the natural tendency is to leave the laces as threaded from new rather than pulling back some slack.
 dmetcalfe 20 Apr 2017
In reply to siobhan66:

i have managed to stretch a shoe by carefully using a belt sander to remove some rubber from the middle of the foot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...