UKC

Where to buy gas canisters between Oslo and Jotunheimen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeLell 17 Apr 2017
Hello all, wondering if anyone can help? I'm heading up to the Jotunheimen for some ski touring tomorrow and will need to grab a few threaded isobutane gas canisters for my Reactor stove in between the Airport and Lom. Journey in the hire car takes me up the E6 past a number of towns (Hammar, Lillehammer, Otta, Fossbergom). I'm hoping a regular visitor or someone with some local knowledge may be able to advise on a good outdoor shop along my route to pick these up from.

Is it possible at all to find these in Norwegian petrol stations or hardware stores/supermarkets?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike
 hedgepig 18 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:
There is a DNT gear'n'maps shop in the main square at Hamar, where the ladies looked after my skis between trains last month. There is also a nearby coffee shop and the usual high street stores. Easy parking. I'd be surprised if you didn't find what you want there, provided it is not a Sunday or after 5pm (when things are shutter than midwales on a Sunday in 1972).
Post edited at 00:47
 wbo 18 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell: try pretty much any sports shop

annak 18 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:

I usually get gas from XXL or G-Sport, google claims that Hamar has an XXL and Lillehammer and Otta have a G-Sport. I can't remember seeing gas at petrol stations buy you might get lucky.
OP MikeLell 21 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:

Thanks for the replies people. Ended up in XXL - Nordic version of Go Outdoors!

Any recommendations as to things to see on the northern and eastern sides of the massif while weather is crap? Sognefjellet pass isn't open yet, so difficult to get over and see any fjords.

Surprised to have excellent mobile internet signal in some really remote places!
 HeMa 21 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:

> .Surprised to have excellent mobile internet signal in some really remote places!

Welcome to Scandinavia, we're used to gettin' a good 4g signal just about evrywhere. Visiting Scotland was a bit of a shock to us.

annak 22 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:

Hmm, whereabouts are you, and how long have you got?
OP MikeLell 25 Apr 2017
In reply to annak:

Was based around Lom, spending most of my time in Leirdalen and Visdalen. The town seemed a bit bleak, but I'm sure it's a nice place in Summer.

Managed to do some skiing every day despite some pretty sh1tty weather. Got most of the way up Galdhoppigen on Sunday and then skied back down with some good snow conditions.

About to find somewhere to camp for the night up the valley from Sjoa in Heidal and then flying home tomorrow evening from Oslo. Anywhere of particular interest to look around on the way down to the Airport?
 annak 25 Apr 2017
In reply to MikeLell:

Hmm I'd love to say yes but... not that I know of. The E6 corridor isn't particularly interesting. Maybe the olympic museum in Lillehammer? Sorry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...