UKC

Vladimir Komarov 1927-1967

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wercat 23 Apr 2017
50 years ago today a very brave man was launched into orbit in Soyuz-1, a series of spacecraft types still in service today. Soyuz 1 was known to have a very large number of technical faults many of which rendered it unsafe and Komarov flew despite this because he knew that his friend, Yuri Gagarin, would be sent in his place if he didn't go.

Knowing what the likely outcome would be he only undertook the flight on condition he would be granted an open-coffin funeral should he not return safely, an eventuality which occurred on April 24th recorded in graphic images and later in the coffin images.

This is a terrible tragic story which affected me deeply as a boy at the time and I'd just like to mark his anniversary with this thread.
 Green Porridge 23 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

There was a good drama about this on radio 4 last week that you'd almost certainly find interesting.
OP wercat 23 Apr 2017
In reply to Green Porridge:

yes I heard it - it was rather harrowing and very moving at the end, though I knew this anniversary was coming up. He's not so often remembered in the West as the Apollo 1 crew.
 Yanis Nayu 23 Apr 2017
In reply to wercat:

I didn't know about this - I'll read up on it. There is a cosmonaut's museum in Moscow you'd find interesting if you ever went there btw. They've got Gagarin's exercise books on display, which for some reason fascinated me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...