UKC

The NHS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 23 Apr 2017
When you are dying of cancer, or in need of urgent medical assistance, what will you do when there is no NHS, only a bill for you to pay?

Sell your house?

Ensure you have insurance to pay the cost?

(To the younger generation)

What about when you are 65 or older, do you still think that insurance will be affordable???

Maybe you none of you on here have ever used the NHS, therefore are happy to see it privatised, incentivised, robbed.
 The Lemming 23 Apr 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

> When you are dying of cancer, or in need of urgent medical assistance, what will you do when there is no NHS,

You are a cheery soul, aren't you?

Big Ger 24 Apr 2017

> When you are dying of cancer, or in need of urgent medical assistance, what will you do when there is no NHS, only a bill for you to pay?

How do people in countries where there is no NHS manage?
 summo 24 Apr 2017

> When you are dying of cancer, or in need of urgent medical assistance, what will you do when there is no NHS, only a bill for you to pay?

Wish you spent a bit more on tax through your lifetime and a little less on material things?

JMarkW 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Well I'm guessing the poor ones, without medical insurance kind of die?
 FactorXXX 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

They swap a good working organ such as a kidney for the cancer treatment.
 Big Ger 24 Apr 2017
In reply to JMarkW:

> Well I'm guessing the poor ones, without medical insurance kind of die?

Don't most countries, I mean civilised ones, not the USA, have some means of providing for the poor?

Or does the scenario play out your way in all insurance based countries?
 Big Ger 24 Apr 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
> How do people in countries where there is no NHS manage?They swap a good working organ such as a kidney for the cancer treatment.

Belgian people are flogging their kidneys to get health care?!?!? Whatever next....
Post edited at 07:36
 krikoman 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> How do people in countries where there is no NHS manage?

They quite often don't
 BnB 24 Apr 2017

> When you are dying of cancer, or in need of urgent medical assistance, what will you do when there is no NHS, only a bill for you to pay?Sell your house?Ensure you have insurance to pay the cost?(To the younger generation)What about when you are 65 or older, do you still think that insurance will be affordable???Maybe you none of you on here have ever used the NHS, therefore are happy to see it privatised, incentivised, robbed.

To save everyone the trouble of looking up the first line of the OP's profile.

"Unless you are going to be positive, sometimes it better not to say anything at all"

Do you seriously believe this bile you're posting daily? Given the prevailing antipathy to the Tories on this forum are the dislikes still not telling you anything?
 Roadrunner5 24 Apr 2017
In the US people ALWAYS get treated. Even undocumented immigrants.

Sadly not enough people believe that so my wife's seen some incredible curable conditions at an almost incurable stage.

Typically in the US cancer pre Obamacare meant bankruptcy. Even joe Biden discussed selling his family home to pay for beaus treatment.

The system was so incredibly broken pre Obamacare. There are still issues but it's far better now.
 JMarkW 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Haha fair enough I was thinking about the USA!! Hmm civilised ones? Yeah maybe!! ????
 Trevers 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Many don't
 stevieb 24 Apr 2017

I think starting their own crystal meth business is one of the recommended solutions
 Lord_ash2000 24 Apr 2017

The same way the populations of all the rest of the worlds most advanced nations do I guess. Some combination of private insurance and state assistance I'd assume.

A better question might be, why don't all those rich, advanced countries across the world plagued by these supposed nightmarish healthcare provisions swap their systems for some sort of NHS system like ours?
 Timmd 24 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:
> Given the prevailing antipathy to the Tories on this forum are the dislikes still not telling you anything?

Why should anybody take notice of dislikes, if the people disliking won't bother to engage and post their reasoning?

Edit: Like this dislike that's just appeared, obviously they *don't like* what I've posted, but it's not clear why, so it's not worth thinking about it. It might as well be the *Negative thought* button, or *grumble mutter* button?

My viewpoint has just radically changed thanks to this dislike.
Post edited at 14:34
 BnB 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Have a "Like"
 Dr.S at work 24 Apr 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Have a "Like"

did you click on dislike by accident?
 wintertree 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Pretty well in some of them. This comparison figure is worth a look - annual budget on the left, life expectancy in the right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_system#/media/File%3AHealth_systems_...

Summary and take home messages -

1) The NHS delivers comparable bang for buck as most first world comparator nations, but has less funding than most of them and as such has less achievements. We should fund the NHS more.

2) The USA's system is a hideously expensive under achieving disaster. Any attempt to Americanise the NHS should be strongly resisted.

3) Japan has apparently got an amazingly efficient health care system - which may partially result from lifestyle differences (any experts to chime in?). It seems entirely reasonable to expect more from the NHS for its funding level however see 2 above before blindly stumbling down the wrong path.

To over generalise, my problem with the state of this debate in the UK is that we have two diametrically opposed camps who are both wrong. One rabidly pushes the NHS as the best world leading health system and the other wants to make it better by being more American.

Let's have a rational, evidence based plan to gradually improve the NHS and the nations health (action on which may or may not be led by the NHS, with Cuba presenting a viable model for a proactive health service based approach to lifestyle driven public health increases.)
Post edited at 16:06
 RyanOsborne 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> The same way the populations of all the rest of the worlds most advanced nations do I guess. Some combination of private insurance and state assistance I'd assume.A better question might be, why don't all those rich, advanced countries across the world plagued by these supposed nightmarish healthcare provisions swap their systems for some sort of NHS system like ours?

America and the developed countries in SE Asia are the only places that don't?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_universal_health_care#...
 Root1 24 Apr 2017
In reply to wintertree:
The USA's system is a hideously expensive under achieving disaster. Any attempt to Americanise the NHS should be strongly resisted.3) Japan has apparently got an amazingly efficient health care system - which may partially result from lifestyle differences (any experts to chime in?).

To over generalise, my problem with the state of this debate in the UK is that we have two diametrically opposed camps who are both wrong. One rabidly pushes the NHS as the best world leading health system and the other wants to make it better by being more American. Let's have a rational, evidence based plan to gradually improve the NHS and the nations health (action on which may or may not be led by the NHS, with Cuba presenting a viable model for a proactive health service based approach to lifestyle driven public health increases.)

You are so right about the American system being hideously expensive and god help you if you are poor. Health outcomes for the poor are third world there. Unfortunately we seem to be heading the same way.
Post edited at 17:15
In reply to Big Ger:

Irrellevant- We are not in those countries.
In reply to BnB:
Is it bile? Do you value the NHS. Do you?

Perhaps this sums up the UK.

youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4zteI5YpM&

When you are old and need medical care, will the NHS be there for you? Perhaps you will have insurance, many people won't have private health insurance, perhaps they won't even have a pension.
Post edited at 22:18
 Postmanpat 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Root1:
> To over generalise, my problem with the state of this debate in the UK is that we have two diametrically opposed camps who are both wrong. One rabidly pushes the NHS as the best world leading health system and the other wants to make it better by being more American.
>
That's not so. Barely anyone has proposed moving to the American model. What has happened is that the first camp characterises any move away from a State funded and State provided system as a move to an American model. It isn't. Health systems all over Europe and Asia have various models of mixed funding and mixed provision.
Post edited at 22:07
 Big Ger 25 Apr 2017

> Irrellevant- We are not in those countries.

Now who said, and I quote;

Are you in a country with no NHS?

Big Ger 25 Apr 2017

> When you are old and need medical care, will the NHS be there for you? Perhaps you will have insurance, many people won't have private health insurance, perhaps they won't even have a pension.

Maybe an asteroid will wipe us all out before that! Maybe Donald Trump will create world peace! Maybe my aunt's testicles will drop!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...