UKC

The Conservatives and their Election Policies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 03 May 2017
How about doing something radical and discuss Election Policies from the Conservative Party?
 danm 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Which are.....?
OP The Lemming 03 May 2017
In reply to danm:

> Which are.....?

Does anybody know, because they don't appear to be reported on in the media yet.
 Mike Stretford 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming: Strong and stable leadership, apparently.

Alyson 03 May 2017
In reply to Mike Stretford:

And avoiding the Coalition of Chaos, don't forget.
 ripper 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

So clearly they are all in favour of alliteration
Lusk 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> How about doing something radical and discuss Election Policies from the Conservative Party?

Are they something along the lines of:

1: If you're already fairly well off (and richer), we'll make you more wealthier.
2: Privatise everything in sight (see above).
3: Poor people - who gives a f*ck.
 Trevers 03 May 2017
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Strong and stable leadership, apparently.

Are you sure it's not the other way round? Stable and strong?
 ripper 03 May 2017
In reply to Trevers:

> Are you sure it's not the other way round? Stable and strong?

Stabbed and Strangled? oh no, sorry, that's their plan for the NHS
 Timmd 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
So far it seems to amount to painting the EU as the big opposition against whom the UK needs a strong leader, who happens to be Teresa May.

Today she's said she's prepared to be a bloody difficult women, accused the EU of wanting Brexit talks to fail, and of trying to influence the election (our British election - how dare they? Vote for Teresa to stand up to them...).

With the EU effectively holding all the cards (or most of them), it doesn't feel like a great build up to Brexit negotiations, I don't think.
Post edited at 18:38
In reply to Timmd:

On another thread I was berated for starting a BREXIT discussion among all the other similar discussions.

This topic is asking about policies that need to be discussed, if the conservatives want to govern the country.

So far there is a substantial smoke screen to avoid discussing the matter in hand.

BREXIT is two years away. The General Election is a month away.

The priority is obvious, but the media and Tories are doing their best to avoid discussing their policies. The strategy can't carry on, can it?
 Trangia 03 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> With the EU effectively holding all the cards (or most of them), it doesn't feel like a great build up to Brexit negotiations, I don't think.

I'm not so certain, there is a lot of bluff and posturing going on. At the end of the day can you really see Germany saying "Sorry Mr and Mrs Britain but we are not going to sell you any more BMWs, Audis or VWs?" or France saying "No you can't buy our Champagne and fine wines any more". Apparently Britain is one of it not the biggest export consumer of all these products, and many more. When it comes to trade the EU countries aren't going to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

In reply to Trangia:

More BREXIT talk on a thread asking about domestic policies of the Tory party.

Does this mean that the conservatives are a one trick pony, like UKIP, and refuse to discuss anything else?
Lusk 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> More BREXIT talk on a thread asking about domestic policies of the Tory party.

Aye, Tories trying to derail the thread to EU talks.
I want to know how the f*cking Tories are going to screw us all over at home.
 Trangia 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

At the moment the two are so intertwined that you can't separate them.
In reply to Trangia:

> At the moment the two are so intertwined that you can't separate them.

Yes you can. You choose to talk about conservative policies, or is this like trying to find a blue unicorn in a majority Tory media blackout?
 JimR 03 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> I'm not so certain, there is a lot of bluff and posturing going on. At the end of the day can you really see Germany saying "Sorry Mr and Mrs Britain but we are not going to sell you any more BMWs, Audis or VWs?" or France saying "No you can't buy our Champagne and fine wines any more". Apparently Britain is one of it not the biggest export consumer of all these products, and many more. When it comes to trade the EU countries aren't going to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Well they are likely to say buy what you want, but if you want to sell to us then the product has got to meet certain standards which we'll dictate. I don't see that strengthens Britain's negotiating hand. Will the UK say we won't buy your stuff cos we'll get it from China or India?
 Trangia 03 May 2017
In reply to JimR:

Maybe, the World's a big market.
 Trangia 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

May is Brexit. She eats, sleeps breathes it, Conservative policies are on the back burner till after the election, which is all about Brexit. Then when she has her huge majority she will have a free hand to implement virtually anything she wants.
 wercat 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I believe it will all be Hemp roap and that The Leader muste not Faille
 Trevers 03 May 2017
In reply to ripper:

Did you come up with that? It's brilliant
In reply to Trangia:
> Conservative policies are on the back burner till after the election, which is all about Brexit.

And that is what is scary. That thing which I shall not name is happening in two years.

Theresa May does not want to discuss policies over the next month which will impact on my next five years and further into the future. Right to Buy seemed to be a policy that had legs and was the gift that kept giving, to landlords at least. Bit random but at least its an example of a policy that can have repercussions spanning decades.

Surely there must be some rumours of policies itching to be released into the wild, so why the media blackout?

If people think I am making this up about managing the press, then what about the local journalists who came to interview Theresa May yesterday at some seaside town but were kept in a room because they were not part of the big networks like ITN or BBC?

Bit controlling.
Post edited at 20:12
 Trangia 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I agree it's very scary, but equally the thought of Corbyn in control is scary.

The awful thing is that the Conservatives don't need to disclose their policies until they are in an unassailable position, they are on course to get the winning vote based on Brexit, not their policies

Mark Edwards 03 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> .3: Poor people - who gives a f*ck.???.

Who else are going to ensure the bankers get their bonuses?
In reply to Trangia:

> I agree it's very scary, but equally the thought of Corbyn in control is scary.

I keep hearing this but so far I have not heard any policies from either side of the fence.

In fact the only few times I have see Corbyn speak on the news, he did not say anything bad. But maybe a Labour Policy thread can be started.

I want to hear about any Tory policies.

Do they exist?

What have the Tories been doing for the last 10 years to make me want to vote for them?

Or indeed, have they done anything wrong or to detriment of the country during that time?

Nobody shout that word which must not be named either.
 balmybaldwin 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

So far the only policy type statements I've seen/heard are:

Grammar Schools all round because they are so good for poor kids that don't get in

No more guarantee against tax rises or NI changes

No More Triple Lock for Pensioners

and that's it.

Their strategy seems to revolve around slating Labour and alienating and pissing off our European Allies that we need to sit round a table with and have a sensible reasoned discussion asap
 summo 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

It is a simple manifesto choice, the Tories primary focus is the best deal for the UK on Brexit. Labour want it to be 1977 again. Now 'life on mars', was a fun programme but Corbyn is no Gene Hunt.

pec 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> On another thread I was berated for starting a BREXIT discussion among all the other similar discussions. >

Ha ha, I detect from your posts in this thread that you've taken my sarcasm to heart!
Its not the Brexit threads I was taking aim at, just the ones endlessly rehashing the arguments of the referendum campaign.
Anyway, glad you can see the funny side of it, like I said, it wasn't personal
 FactorXXX 03 May 2017
In reply to summo:

Now 'life on mars', was a fun programme but Corbyn is no Gene Hunt.

Oh, I think you'll find he is...
In reply to summo:

Or, just for sh1ts and giggles rather than quote puns, you could quote or discuss conservative policies?
 summo 03 May 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Now 'life on mars', was a fun programme but Corbyn is no Gene Hunt.Oh, I think you'll find he is...

Only for cockneys though.
 summo 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Or, just for sh1ts and giggles rather than quote puns, you could quote or discuss conservative policies?

If there were only two parties in the uk, I'd vote for pretty much anyone other then Labour or Corbyn right now. The Tory manifesto is next to irrelevant; that's the whole point, they don't need a manifesto.
In reply to pec:

> , like I said, it wasn't personal

No worries, you are more than welcome to discuss provided it does not involve the topic that should not be named.
 GrahamD 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> How about doing something radical and discuss Election Policies from the Conservative Party?

Why do the Conservatives need an election policy ? if there is one at all its make sure the opposition get as much air time as possible.
Lusk 03 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> If there were only two parties in the uk, I'd vote for pretty much anyone other then Labour or Corbyn right now. The Tory manifesto is next to irrelevant; that's the whole point, they don't need a manifesto.

I used to quite like you, but, you are clearly a hard core Tory who can't see beyond an economic point of view.
There's more to life than money, something that unfortunately you and millions of others can't see.
It's a sorry, sorry world we're living in.
 Shani 03 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> It is a simple manifesto choice, the Tories primary focus is the best deal for the UK on Brexit.

This is empty rhetoric. No party would come out and say anything other than they are aiming for "the best deal for the UK on Brexit".
In reply to Shani:

BREXIT, BREXIT, BREXIT.

How about discussing domestic policies for a very real and upcoming General Election?
 wbo 03 May 2017
In reply to Trangia: u> I'm not so certain, there is a lot of bluff and posturing going on. At the end of the day can you really see Germany saying "Sorry Mr and Mrs Britain but we are not going to sell you any more BMWs, Audis or VWs?" or France saying "No you can't buy our Champagne and fine wines any more". Apparently Britain is one of it not the biggest export consumer of all these products, and many more. When it comes to trade the EU countries aren't going to cut off their noses to spite their Faced'

I dont want to seem rude but i think you'll find this was covered last year. Angela Merkelig has had meetings with the leaders of BMW et al. , and they anticipate a hit in trade, but that is part of the price to be paid. It was in the news though im not sure which newspapers you get.
 Timmd 03 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
> BREXIT, BREXIT, BREXIT.How about discussing domestic policies for a very real and upcoming General Election?

It seems to me that European policies and Brexit are intertwined at the mo?

Edit: Pardon me, I must have Europe on the brain at the mo, I misread your OP as being European policies rather than election policies.

I seem to have derailed your thread. Sorry about that.
Post edited at 23:19
In reply to wbo:

Is the OP title too complex for you to grasp that this is supposed to be a descussion on Conservative policy during the general election?

There are countless BREXIT threads for you to hijack.

I'm guessing that the Conservatives are putting all their eggs in one basket and think they can walk through to victory without publishing or discussing any policies?
 FactorXXX 03 May 2017
In reply to summo:

Only for cockneys though.

Mockneys more like...
 Trevers 03 May 2017
In reply to summo:
> It is a simple manifesto choice, the Tories primary focus is the best deal for the UK on Brexit. Labour want it to be 1977 again. Now 'life on mars', was a fun programme but Corbyn is no Gene Hunt.

They're focused so hard on getting the best deal for the UK that they're calling everyone in Europe horrid names and insulting their momas.
Post edited at 23:37
Jim C 03 May 2017
In reply to JimR:

> Well they are likely to say buy what you want, but if you want to sell to us then the product has got to meet certain standards which we'll dictate. I don't see that strengthens Britain's negotiating hand. Will the UK say we won't buy your stuff cos we'll get it from China or India?

All the goods we supply into the EU already DO meet the EU criteria, in all respects that is why id does not need to take a long time to get a trade agreement , we have already been proven to be compliant.
We of course can impose our own standards for imports.

When I was still in Procurement , a couple of months back, I asked my suppliers (French and German were the main ones) if they would be happy for me to have to add tarrifs onto their prices.
( which would make their goods more expensive during evaluation than those from other countries, and for me to recommend that we buy from elsewhere)
The suppliers( I spoke to) ignored the question and just said they believed there WILL be a no tariff deal on both sides.

Blue Straggler 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Stop your vague and infantile trolling

You have never "started a discussion".

All you ever do is post some trite soundbite/clickbait demanding attention and then complain when you get dislikes and/or replies that you don't like despite having invited such replies by trying to be "provocative".

I have defended you many times in the past and given you more "Likes" than you ever gave me credit for. I've also given friendly straightforward advice on some of your threads
But I am only human and I have a breaking point. This OP is very close to that breaking point. I give you some credit for at least returning to your own thread for a change; sadly it seems that you only replied to say that you didn't like the replies that you were getting on your attention-seeking thread.

I do enjoy replying to your threads as you seem to have a policy of ignoring all my posts (including the friendly ones which really warranted a "thanks") so I can kind of say what I want , thanks for that

summo 04 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> I used to quite like you, but, you are clearly a hard core Tory who can't see beyond an economic point of view.There's more to life than money, something that unfortunately you and millions of others can't see.It's a sorry, sorry world we're living in.

Not at all, I've voted lib dems the last umpteen times.

The point is its not people voting for who they want, many will vote because they don't want Corbyn. He is toxic. Just like Blair.. UKIP is over, Libdem still not got their act back together. There isn't anyone else to vote for.

There is certainly much more to life than money. That's why I live in Sweden, where everyone (not just the rich ) pays higher tax, but enjoys better services, higher quality of life or standard of living because of it. I can see a doctor today if I wishes, kids classes are mid teens in numbers, streets are clean, roads smooth for my road bike.... but everyone is paying for it, rich or poor. All in it together.

In Sweden local elections I voted moderated or centre, which would be a little like voting green, libdem or left in the UK in terms of policy that they represent. I don't think the UK can improve unless everyone makes more sacrifice in terms of tax. Corbyn's vision of fixing Britain by taxing the relative few just won't work imho. It will only divide society more.

You can do your ranting and blame the Tories, TM gove etc... but it's the UK population who needs to fix things and wake up. It's had decades of being promised the world it can have everything and someone else in society will fund it. It doesn't work. Services are dire, annual deficit and a trillion plus in debt. Average UK joe needs to pay more to the government and less on other things. It is not a quick fix, but after 30 plus years of under funding it won't be.

summo 04 May 2017
In reply to Trevers:

> They're focused so hard on getting the best deal for the UK that they're calling everyone in Europe horrid names and insulting their momas.

I don't think many eu leaders have been exactly complimentary either. Plenty want to punish the UK and have said so in quite harsh phrases, due to elections and problems in their own country.

But that's the front of negotiations, meanwhile behind doors the deal is done as people save face publically.
 Big Ger 04 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> Not at all, I've voted lib dems the last umpteen times.

No, no, no, if you don't agree with a left-wing point of view, you are obviously a Tory posh git who hates the poor and lives off inherited money, you're evil!

OP The Lemming 04 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> I don't think many eu leaders have been exactly complimentary either.

Please, can we not discuss BREXIT on this thread?

There are loads of threads on that at the moment however there is practically no discussion on domestic Conservative policies. Surely there must be some to vote on?

Or are we being asked to vote on the strength of a slogan?
 DerwentDiluted 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
I thought the policy was to induce voter apathy through a surfeit of elections, to be as abnoxious to the Scots as possible and gerrymander the constituency boundaries in England to totally deny any opposition a chance to form a majority.

Conservative rule inperpetuity. What goes wrong can be blamed on a recalcitrant EU. That excuse will be valid for another 30 years, and at this rate may have some truth to it.
Post edited at 07:51
 Postmanpat 04 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Are they something along the lines of:1: If you're already fairly well off (and richer), we'll make you more wealthier.2: Privatise everything in sight (see above).3: Poor people - who gives a f*ck.

Well actually, no. Pretty much the opposite!
 TMM 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
> Please, can we not discuss BREXIT on this thread?There are loads of threads on that at the moment however there is practically no discussion on domestic Conservative policies. Surely there must be some to vote on?Or are we being asked to vote on the strength of a slogan?

It's the start of the campaign. None of the parties has published their manifestos yet so clarity about policy is weak from all sides, this has been compounded by the surprise of a 'snap' election.

The Tories are clearly going to a big, strong clear (but meaningless) message about 'strong and stable leadership' and keeping the focus on Brexit to sledgehammer home their current advantage. You could argue that as they have managed to dictate the current narrative they do not need to do anything else.

The challenge lies with the other parties to move the Tories into other areas of the battlefield where they are likely to struggle. The Labour party attempted to do that with their policing policy but managed to make the messenger the story rather than the policy through abject incompetence. The Lib Dems are happy to keep the focus on Europe as they will win votes from Remainers in both Labour and Conservative camps.
Post edited at 08:52
 TMM 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Please, can we not discuss BREXIT on this thread?There are loads of threads on that at the moment however there is practically no discussion on domestic Conservative policies. Surely there must be some to vote on?Or are we being asked to vote on the strength of a slogan?

And I didn't even mention Brexit!! Oh wait... Feck.
 Offwidth 04 May 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

There is some truth in that. They do say they are trying to ensure the rich pay their fair share of tax and in particular that poor working families need help, so I guess, like their immigration policies, or deficit reduction policies, this either makes them incompetant or very unlucky in terms of circumstances. They can't privatise everything in sight as most of what they can privatise without doing themselves major political damage has already been done, so its chip away quietly for now.
 MG 04 May 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Well actually, no. Pretty much the opposite!

The opposite would be 1)the well off paying more tax, 2) nationalising things, and 3) caring about the poor.

With possibly exception of 3) (in principle if not in practice), that is not what the government is doing. On 1) I'm reasonably comfortable and have been amazed that my tax rate has gone every year for 5 years.
 Postmanpat 04 May 2017
In reply to MG:

Apart from <2> she's suggesting that. She's also mooting things like retrictions on M&A etc.

Dauphin 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

They'd need to discuss important stuff like impending tax rises, interest rate rises and the faltering economy riding into a credit crisis on the back of Brexit skitters by the end of the summer. Oh and a NHS tax to pay for the healthcare you need now, after we and countless other government's, mainly conservative pissed yr taxes down the hotel sink with the contents of the mini-bar.

None of which would cause self interested retired rascists to confidently go out and vote for them.

D
 Trevers 04 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> I don't think many eu leaders have been exactly complimentary either. Plenty want to punish the UK and have said so in quite harsh phrases, due to elections and problems in their own country.

Which is why it was madness to trigger Article 50 before the German elections, surely?
 summo 04 May 2017
In reply to Trevers:

> Which is why it was madness to trigger Article 50 before the German elections, surely?

Why with 27 nations, there would always be something or other to wait for. To delay longer than they did just breeds uncertainty and instability etc..
 Trevers 04 May 2017
In reply to summo:

> Why with 27 nations, there would always be something or other to wait for. To delay longer than they did just breeds uncertainty and instability etc..

But Germany and France...
In reply to Trevers:
> But Germany and France...

Is it really so hard to resist, and leave BREXIT stuff to the many wide and numerous BREXIT threads started over the last 18 months or so?

Or is it the fact that you do not care about domestic politics which will impact on your life just as much or even greater?
Post edited at 14:30
 Trevers 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Is it really so hard to resist, and leave BREXIT stuff to the many wide and numerous BREXIT threads started over the last 18 months or so?

> Or is it the fact that you do not care about domestic politics which will impact on your life just as much or even greater?

1) Sorry

2) What policies are there to discuss? :S
In reply to Trevers:

> 2) What policies are there to discuss? :S

Now that is the main thrust of the discussion. Labour and the Lib Dems have made a start. However the Conservatives and majority of the media have chosen to keep as far away from domestic issues as possible.

If the Conservatives are so confident in calling a quick General Election knowing that they will be victorious and return to power with another five year mandate, then wouldn't they be throwing policies out there to humiliate the opposition and demonstrate their ability to govern?

tony 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> If the Conservatives are so confident in calling a quick General Election knowing that they will be victorious and return to power with another five year mandate, then wouldn't they be throwing policies out there to humiliate the opposition and demonstrate their ability to govern?

Not really. At this stage in a parliament, with the opposition in a poor state, and nothing going significantly wrong, the Tories don't really need to do anything other than parrot meaningless slogans, in the fairly certain knowledge that they won't really be challenged very effectively.

Of course, it would be nice if they did come up with some meaningful policies, particularly with regard to the spending requirements related to health and social care, but that would involve talking about either raising taxes, or making more cuts, neither of which are terrific vote winners, so I doubt we'll see them engaging with that kind of malarkey if they can avoid it.

But hey, strong and stable does it ...
 MG 04 May 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Its a good point. All the other parties seem have a planned manifesto launch date. I can't see anything from the Tories - they are still waving the 2015 version on their website.

https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto
 summo 04 May 2017
In reply to MG:

> Its a good point. All the other parties seem have a planned manifesto launch date. I can't see anything from the Tories - they are still waving the 2015 version on their website.https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

Tactics, they are under less pressure than Corbyn is to release. Let Labour go first. The Tories will reword or modify anything in theirs if they think they can counter some Labour plans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...