UKC

Hobbits, Ladders & Tunnels - A New Slate Quarry Adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 06 May 2017
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

More Info & Photos to follow....
 AP Melbourne 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Why must I sign up for something to watch this please?
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Wrong link Ian.

I'm intrigued though!
Post edited at 01:51
 Donotello 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

You just linked us to your own personal video library not a public link to anything
 Donotello 06 May 2017
In reply to The Green Giant:

Also being keen I managed to find it

youtube.com/watch?v=z_ktKn6BvBM&
 elsewhere 06 May 2017
In reply to Donotello:
Superb video.
OP Sl@te Head 06 May 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Try this link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ktKn6BvBM&t=5s

I will hopefully get a route description on the database at some point today....

Hobbits, Ladders and Tunnels XS
This route is not a conventional climbing experience, it does however provide an unforgettable experience of the history and danger faced by past generations of quarrymen. Along the route you will encounter rusty wobbly ladders with missing rungs, dark tunnels one of which has a very tight squeeze, multiple extreme abseils, exposed scrambling amongst boulders and loose scree, some rarely visited blast shelters and huts where the eagle eyed will spot quarrymen’s names etched into the slate dating back nearly 150 years!
THIS ROUTE HAS BEEN GRADED XS (EXTREMELY SEVERE) AND IS NOT WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT RISK, PROCEDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS IS NOT A SUITABLE ROUTE FOR THOSE WITHOUT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF COMPETENCE AND EXPERIENCE. BEST DONE IN DRY WEATHER AS IT WOULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY RISKIER IN THE WET. THIS ROUTE IS ONLY SUITABLE FOR HOBBITS, LARGE HUMANS WILL NOT FIT THROUGH THE TWLL MAWR TIGHT SQUEEZE!!
Start by walking to the Air Vent at Never Never Land, cross the fence on the opposite side and abseil (25metres) into the ‘Monkey Bar Area’ using the belay bolts above ‘Patellectomy E1 5c’
Walk out along the terrace to a lone circular blast shelter near a rusty pipe, descend down the scree by following the pipe.
Walk along the level below the ‘Peregrine Walls’ with some scree scrambling until large boulders and a leaning hut are reached. Search for the Abb point by 2 smaller boulders.
Abseil (30metres) to the level below to access the hidden Twll Mawr Tunnel, rope protectors advised, take care this is quite a serious abseil, an old rusty railway track clamp has been bolted in place to protect the rope on the sharp edge.
Enter the Hidden Tunnel which leads to the ‘Arse of Twll Mawr’ a very tight squeeze, ONLY HOBBIT SIZED EXPLORERS WILL MANAGE THIS TIGHT SQUEEZE – if you need to retreat the only relatively safe option would be abseil from the mature silver birch trees to the levels below…
Once in Twll Mawr climb the ‘Wobbly Ladder Pitch’ of ‘Black Holes and Revelations’ this is graded 6b, but can be aided with slings on the numerous bolts at a more amenable grade. Alternatively scramble up the scree to the exit tunnel level above.
Exit the tunnel and bear left to the base of a blocky scree filled gully, carefully ascend until it is possible to airily traverse left to gain the ‘Suncharm Ledge’ scramble upwards to gain the main track. At the ‘Watford Gap’ head right and up the scree to gain the top of the ‘Quarryman Wall’. BOTH THESE SCRAMBLING SECTIONS REQUIRE GREAT CARE!
Head up from the top of ‘Twll Mawr’ to gain the summit of the ‘Mordor’ / ‘Lost World’ Col. Abseil (38 metres) down to the Col, follow an EXTREMELY EXPOSED walkway to gain the tunnel entrance.
Walk along the tunnel to a junction to a junction head right to a square cut opening. Abseil (41 metres) down into ‘The Lost World’ close to the ‘Wall Within 7c+’. Exit the ‘Lost World’ into ‘Mordor’ via Tunnels, exit Mordor via Ladders.
Head up the scree slope past the chain strewn tower, walk down scree and follow the incline down on the right hand side of the fence head right for more views of ‘Twll Mawr’ head down the sree slopes to re gain the track below.
Ian Lloyd-Jones & Michael Buddle 05/May/2017
Post edited at 12:15
 Shani 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Nice one!
 Red Rover 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It does look quite serious! Not sure I'd fit through the squeeze
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Twll Mawr

Got my left and rights mixed up in the description above, corrected route description now on the database...
Hobbits, Ladders and Tunnels (XS)

Bulls Crack 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Shine on you crazy go-pro!
 sg 06 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

The video is awesome stuff in itself, to say nothing of the route. Will have to explore some more of the quarries next time I'm up there. Thanks for exploring and sharing!
 AP Melbourne 08 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Marvelous video Ian, thanks and Da iawn.
AP.
Northern Star 08 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

This looks ace, well done. Know all those separate sections well but never thought of doing a link up. The saddle between Lost World and Mordor is a special place - looked at it for years before realising that it was possible to get to it via the tunnel and that rather narrow ledge above Lost World. How is the Great Ladder of Mordor looking (the three stage ladder that goes to the bottom of Mordor)? Still intact after the recent rockfall rumours?
OP Sl@te Head 08 May 2017
In reply to Northern Star:

The lower Mordor ladders are still there, but I can't comment as to how safe they are after the recent massive rock fall from above.

The idea for the 'link up' came about after a recent thread about 'the lost tunnel of Twll Mawr' posted by 'A Random Climber' https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=658998&v=1#x8516028

We teamed up to create a link up which incorporated the difficult to get to entrance of the lost tunnel. The 2nd abseil in the video shows how you can now access the tunnel without having to risk the death scree scramble from above or below. The abseil still needs care and has an unusual solution to protecting the abb rope over a sharp edge.
OP Sl@te Head 08 May 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

> Marvelous video Ian, thanks and Da iawn. AP.

Diolch
 sid68 08 May 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

This looks AMAZING! I've done Snakes and Ladders a few times but this looks so much more; can't wait to give it a blast in the next few weeks. Thanks Ian.
I climbed the Mordor triple ladders from the bottom of Middle Earth today and they are fine. There's slate debris over the bottom of the quarry and around the ladders. The bottom and middle ones appear sound but the top one wobbles like mad at its base... very un-neving but it appears sound! We abbed in to base of the hole from the anchors at the top of Full Metal Jack-off, climbed, then escaped the hole via the ladders.
Post edited at 19:55
 Red Rover 08 May 2017
In reply to A Random Climber:

The base of the top one was wobbling a lot when I was there 5 years ago so it must be a long way from fine by now :p

Five years ago the top ladder seemed to be held on only by 2 or 3 of the metal bars all pretty rusted, I was unroped on it but regretted it after.
In reply to Red Rover:

I've posted a couple of pics. They're fisheye and a bit (very) weird but they give an idea of the adventure. Hope the mods hurry up and send them through.
Northern Star 09 May 2017
In reply to A Random Climber:

The top ladder of the 3 in Mordor was wobbly 5 years ago I think. Some interesting times transitioning between those ladders.

Fantastic photos, particularly the abseil into the col. Look forward to having a crack at this during the summer. Guessing you took a 100m static rope for the longer abseils? Assuming that the ab bolts are still there in the side wall for the ab from the tunnel into lost world?

We just took a couple of standard full ropes. Two 50m 10.5mm jobs will do you for all the abseils including leaving one rope in place on the second (potential rope-cutting!) abb, leaving the other free to lead the 6b pitch of Black Holes and Revelations. The first rope can then be retrieved after leaving Twll Mawr via the usual tunnel.
All abb bolts are in place.

Glad you like the pics, thanks
OP Sl@te Head 29 May 2017

I'm curious, has anyone repeated this yet?

If so how did you find it?

Did anyone get jammed in the hole?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...