UKC

Wheel weight vs size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 09 May 2017

I posted this on another site but didnt get many responses -

Whats likely to be more effective on a long mixed terrain ride 26" wheels or a 27.5" wheels that weigh 800g more (rim/tyre weight i.e rotational mass)?
Post edited at 10:18
 balmybaldwin 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

27.5 The additional weight, and large diameter will provide more momentum to glide over things that might stop the 26" although in reality there's not a huge amount in it
Rigid Raider 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Almost nothing in it. Of equally small significance is the fact that less energy will be wasted by the bigger wheel bumping over rough surfaces, which slow down a wheel by absorbing forward energy.
OP The Potato 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Glad to hear, thats why I couldnt make up my mind!
Certainly on hard smooth surfaces the bigger wheels make a difference imo, but I do like the nimbleness of the 26 too. Anyway, thanks for the replies folks.
 MikeSP 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I would agree 650b would roll better.
800g extra weight seems a lot though, are you thinking about plus size?
MarkM 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Just back from a 3 day Lakes bikepacking trip over very mixed terrain. I was on a FS 26'er with friends on rigid 29 and 29+ set ups.

From my observations on the relative ease with which the 29+ rolled over pretty challenging terrain I will now go for a 29+ for my next bike! Doesn't answer your OP of course but I presume 27.5 will be somewhere in between..
OP The Potato 09 May 2017
In reply to MikeSP:

800g is from slightly larger rims and heavier tyres, not plus size.
26-29 is a fair difference not surprising they rolled faster. Still don't think I'd go 29 for general trails though
 wbo 09 May 2017
In reply to The Potato: try one. I really like my 29 - my 26 is just taking up space in the garage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...