/ Bike Camera

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Mikek on 11 May 2017
I’ve been following the posts on traffic passing too closely to bikes. So a good idea to have a camcorder/gopro device on my bike. Would be useful in event of a collision to prove innocence if motorist tries to sue me.
What devices are out there and which would folks recommend. Need a decent battery life I guess so can leave it running. Thanks, Mike
nniff - on 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Not the Konica Go-pro look-alike. It's nearly useless. THe bike mounting kit was designed by someone who seems not to be familiar with bikes. The battery lasts about 1:40, which just about covers my commute one way. It rattles in its case, so there is no sound bar 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' - that's once it's mounted on a garmin/go-pro mount.
The helmet mount is also useless.

The Fly6 rear view camera/light is really good, but the battery will only last for about a year of commuting use after which iit is fried and not replaceable. Their front light/camera is over-specced and over-priced for a 'just in case' camera.
gethin_allen on 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

I have a Tom Tom Bandit. It's pretty solid and the output is good quality but it's quite chunky/heavy and the battery life is about 2 hrs with 1080p @60fps (you can select higher and lower quality with varying impacts on battery life).
nniff - on 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

The Olfi One-five is supposed to be good. When my Konica thing dies (or I stamp on it - whichever comes first) that looks like a strong contender.
stewieatb on 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Drift Stealth HD 2, with handlebar mount. Great little bit of kit.
John Clinch (Ampthill) - on 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

This guy is good for budget action cam reviews and advice

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras
nniff - on 12 May 2017
In reply to nniff:

Apologies to Konica - my wretched camera is Vivitar
Siward on 12 May 2017
In reply to nniff:
Re: the Fly6 the battery isn't designed to be replaceable it's true, but it can be:

https://medium.com/@bikebot/fly-6-battery-replacement-cdbcd09150ce

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/fly6-battery-replacement.25478/
Post edited at 16:24
nniff - on 12 May 2017
In reply to Siward:

So the big question is, 'Did I throw it away?'.. Not sure, but I think I might have done
Mikek on 13 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Thanks to everyone's posts. Good to know. Perhaps if motorists thought we all had bike cams, they would show more awareness etc.
mike
nufkin - on 14 May 2017
In reply to stewieatb:

> Drift Stealth HD 2, with handlebar mount. Great little bit of kit.

Which, though I've never used it, also has a 'dashboard cam' mode for just this sort of thing. Maybe all of this type of camera have, mind
Yanis Nayu - on 14 May 2017
In reply to nufkin:

What does that mean?
stewieatb on 14 May 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

When set to that mode, it records on a continuous loop, but only keeps the footage when you press a "keep" button. The length of clip kept can be set. I don't use mine this way as a bike camera but I've used it like this as a dashcam, until I got a proper dashcam.
Yanis Nayu - on 15 May 2017
In reply to stewieatb:

Ah, thanks.
ads.ukclimbing.com

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.