UKC

Bike Camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikek 11 May 2017
I’ve been following the posts on traffic passing too closely to bikes. So a good idea to have a camcorder/gopro device on my bike. Would be useful in event of a collision to prove innocence if motorist tries to sue me.
What devices are out there and which would folks recommend. Need a decent battery life I guess so can leave it running. Thanks, Mike
 nniff 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Not the Konica Go-pro look-alike. It's nearly useless. THe bike mounting kit was designed by someone who seems not to be familiar with bikes. The battery lasts about 1:40, which just about covers my commute one way. It rattles in its case, so there is no sound bar 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' - that's once it's mounted on a garmin/go-pro mount.
The helmet mount is also useless.

The Fly6 rear view camera/light is really good, but the battery will only last for about a year of commuting use after which iit is fried and not replaceable. Their front light/camera is over-specced and over-priced for a 'just in case' camera.
 gethin_allen 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

I have a Tom Tom Bandit. It's pretty solid and the output is good quality but it's quite chunky/heavy and the battery life is about 2 hrs with 1080p @60fps (you can select higher and lower quality with varying impacts on battery life).
 nniff 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

The Olfi One-five is supposed to be good. When my Konica thing dies (or I stamp on it - whichever comes first) that looks like a strong contender.
 stewieatb 11 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Drift Stealth HD 2, with handlebar mount. Great little bit of kit.
In reply to Mikek:

This guy is good for budget action cam reviews and advice

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras
 nniff 12 May 2017
In reply to nniff:

Apologies to Konica - my wretched camera is Vivitar
 Siward 12 May 2017
In reply to nniff:
Re: the Fly6 the battery isn't designed to be replaceable it's true, but it can be:

https://medium.com/@bikebot/fly-6-battery-replacement-cdbcd09150ce

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/fly6-battery-replacement.25478/
Post edited at 16:24
 nniff 12 May 2017
In reply to Siward:

So the big question is, 'Did I throw it away?'.. Not sure, but I think I might have done
OP Mikek 13 May 2017
In reply to Mikek:

Thanks to everyone's posts. Good to know. Perhaps if motorists thought we all had bike cams, they would show more awareness etc.
mike
 nufkin 14 May 2017
In reply to stewieatb:

> Drift Stealth HD 2, with handlebar mount. Great little bit of kit.

Which, though I've never used it, also has a 'dashboard cam' mode for just this sort of thing. Maybe all of this type of camera have, mind
 Yanis Nayu 14 May 2017
In reply to nufkin:

What does that mean?
 stewieatb 14 May 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

When set to that mode, it records on a continuous loop, but only keeps the footage when you press a "keep" button. The length of clip kept can be set. I don't use mine this way as a bike camera but I've used it like this as a dashcam, until I got a proper dashcam.
 Yanis Nayu 15 May 2017
In reply to stewieatb:

Ah, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...