UKC

MTB respectable average speed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 15 May 2017
On a flat gravel or firm dirt path (think canal towpath), what would be considered a respectable speed to keep up over the course of a 15 mile ride? I cycled down the canal towpath and through Milton Keynes yesterday, and I can't shake the feeling that my 11mph average equates to being terribly unfit...
 Trangia 15 May 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

I suppose it depends on the amount of fishermens' flak you have to avoid
OP tehmarks 15 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I seem to have perfected the bell, smile and thank you routine now. I'd like to think that slowing down for deaf pedestrians affected my average significantly...but to be honest I think I'm just unfit
In reply to tehmarks:
11 mph is about my norm on any path where pedestrians/dogs are about for a mtb. Never see the point in trying harder as it often can be a complete stop when trying to pass some walkers particularly with dogs loose or on extending leads. There again, I'm happy to go slow! Also I am unfit .
 Greasy Prusiks 15 May 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Average speeds are always far slower than you expect, especially if there are a few gates or pedestrians to negotiate.

If you had a clear run and went flat out then 11mph slower than most but if you just went for a normal ride then it's pretty average.
In reply to tehmarks:

I sugest downloading STRAVA to your phone. This allows me at the end of every ride to sat

How are 2,000 people faster than me on that climb and only 500 slower? How is it possible to do that in 3 mins when it takes me 7 mins?

It's fantastic for crushing the ego

11mph sounds about right for me bimbling round MK
OP tehmarks 15 May 2017
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

This thread has been mostly brought about by Strava! Interestingly I was averaging over 12mph - pedestrians and all - until I got to Campbell Park. The hill finished me off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...