/ REVIEW: Stanley Master Series Flask

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Stanley Master Series 1.3L Flask Review, 3 kbOur resident tea drinker takes on the challenge of reviewing a flask that actually has a point of difference beyond colour - namely, that it keeps things much hotter for far longer.

Read more
neuromancer - on 16 May 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

All I have to say is thermos ultimate.

Make hot choc at 0615 before a day of Scottish winter climbing on the ben. Open it at 1945 and burn tongue on drink.
simes303 - on 16 May 2017
It was pointed out recently that many of my comments regarding gear reviews expressed disbelief at the price of the gear being reviewed. I thought I'd be able to hold off commenting for a while but this one is the biggest joke yet. £75? Seventy five pounds? For a thermos flask. OH. MY. GOD. I can't believe what I've just read.

Edit: In March, my girlfriend and I drove down from Sheffield and had eight days in Devon which cost us slightly more each than the price of two thermos flasks. Unbelievable.
Post edited at 19:34
kmhphoto - on 16 May 2017

At 2.6kg full I think I'll pass on carrying that around.
Ridge - on 16 May 2017
In reply to simes303:

To an extent you do get what you pay for. I have a Thermos 'thin and light' ( or something like that), which is massively better insulated than the average, even with big dents in it.

However, the flask being reviewed is ridiculously expensive for what it is. (Although I do like the fact it doesn't have one of those f***ing stupid lids with the pouring mechanism).
wilkesley - on 16 May 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

Definitely the mutt's nuts. We have three of various sizes. Cost around £20-30 depending on size.
TobyA on 16 May 2017
In reply to simes303:

> I thought I'd be able to hold off commenting for a while but...

Simes - a review thread just wouldn't be a review thread without one of your comments!

Actually, I'm rather inclined towards your perspective on this. I remember reviewing a base layer that was jolly good, but I couldn't really say that it was 10 times better than one from Decathlon because that is how much it was - about 10x the price of cheap alternative.

I'm sure this is a great flask but it's about 20 x the price of my big one I got in Asda, and my Asda one works very well, so can it be 20 times better? But I guess price and quality aren't in a neat relationship like that.
thebigfriendlymoose - on 16 May 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> To an extent you do get what you pay for. I have a Thermos 'thin and light' ( or something like that), which is massively better insulated than the average, even with big dents in it.

I have one of those - 530 g, compared to the 1300 g of an empty "ultimate". A really good flask - noticeably lighter than than my old 1L Stanley flask and keeps drinks hot at least all day. Given that I am a fair-weather sport climber, more than enough for my purposes.
snoop6060 - on 16 May 2017

Come on rob everybody knows it's all about how long you get before every single thing you put in it tastes like flask. Normally about 2 weeks for the shitty ones I buy. How did this one fare?

Flask tea is grim! Gotta be coffee with lots of rum to take the edge off the flaskyness.
kevin stephens - on 16 May 2017
In reply to snoop6060: just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

Tommyads on 16 May 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Kevin is correct. You shouldn't be adding milk. Try add some lemon if you can't do real tea.

I feel like there should be an accompanying "Skills Article" to go along side this review. Let me know if you need contribution Rob.
Tony Jones - on 16 May 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

Good grief!

This is what happens when we are infiltrated by Johnny Foreigner. Tea, without milk? Splutter. Harder Brexit, now! Nurse Theresa!
snoop6060 - on 17 May 2017
In reply to Tommyads:
Yorkshire tea with lemon in! Your are from the south i take it?
Post edited at 00:34
Ridge - on 17 May 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

I put hot water and milk in the flask, then brew my coffee (or tea) in my insulated mug. Stops the flasky taste developing.
Guy Hurst - on 17 May 2017
In reply to Ridge:
Hot Ribena or Vimto is the stuff to drink. It's quick and faff free to make, and leaves the flask easy to clean out — but not that monster from Stanley, something like the Thermos Ultimate which does the job really well and yet doesn't weigh as much as a house brick.
Hardonicus - on 17 May 2017

Might as well take a pocket rocket and mug and enjoy a fresh brew at that weight.
ads.ukclimbing.com
dereke12000 - on 07:39 Mon

Another vote for the Thermos Ultimate - one of the most essential items of my climbing kit. Light enough for multi-pitch climbs (tea at the top out is bliss), no flaskey taste, stays hot all day, sensible price.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.