UKC

Scafell Crag - Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 22 May 2017
Hoping to get up to Scafell Crag later this week. Never had the conditions to get there before but with a dry week in prospect I'm hoping.

Has anyone been up recently (last logbook entries seem to be 10 May)? Is it likely to be in condition?

Many thanks

Martin
In reply to Martin Hore:

Friends running said Saturday up there was hugely wet, claggy and with hail. Current Great End thermometer says 9 degrees. It's dry enough overall, but another ten degrees needed for enjoyment.
Rain forecast today but later in week better.
 Rog Wilko 22 May 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

While I have no recent experience of conditions in the area, I would just observe that until recently there was a virtual drought for several weeks, suggesting the crags would be fundamentally dry. The wet spell in the last week or so was brief so I wouldn't expect most crags to be showing much seepage, and with the forecast as it is they will dry out quickly. The next few days would seem to me to be a good chance to get on the high Lakes crags in good conditions. But people who've actually been up there recently may say something totally different......
Good luck.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Agree with Rog about general dryness and lack of seepage.
We need warmer weather though - still v cold in shade or wind.
Thursday-Saturday looking best:
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Great-End/forecasts/910
 Jim 1003 22 May 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It was raining this morning in Borrowdale, and it was heavier higher up. Raining now and looking very black in Penrith...there was minor seepage on Quayfoot, very windy... but as you say it has been dry previously...
 steveriley 22 May 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

I was up there running Saturday and couldn't see much seepage ...in fact I couldn't see anything - the mist was down and rain blowing in my face. Esk Buttress was soaked when we got a bit lower and out of the clag
OP Martin Hore 23 May 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

If it stays dry the rest of the week and warms up as promised I think we might give it a go.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...