UKC

Dancing Ledge car park - pay and display

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FYI

The dancing ledge car park will be pay and display by the latest the bank holiday weekend. Was chatting to the NT staff installing it today.

It will be paid in 2hr increments at £1 per 2 hours. Cash only. 24hour.
thelurker 22 May 2017
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:
The result of recreational climbers being sold down the river by commercial users and being forced to pick up their extra costs.
 Mike Highbury 22 May 2017
In reply to thelurker:
> The result of recreational climbers being sold down the river by commercial users and being forced to pick up their extra costs.

One the assumption that I understand what you mean, I suspect that there is a degree of truth in what you say.
 Dandan 23 May 2017

Right, that's it, I'm buying a boat.
 Climber_Bill 23 May 2017
In reply to Dandan:

> Right, that's it, I'm buying a boat.

Or park on the public road somewhere in Langton Matravers and walk from there. Might be a bit cheaper than a boat, though of course not as much fun.
Deadeye 23 May 2017
In reply to Dandan:

> Right, that's it, I'm buying a boat.

You'll need a bigger one
 GrahamD 23 May 2017
In reply to thelurker:

Eh ? climbers must be a tiny proportion of visitors to that part of the coast - commercial or not.

Anyway useful reminder to make sure I have my NT membership card with me next time I'm there.
 trouserburp 23 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

But a very large proportion of 'coasteerers' - giving money to private individuals and clogging up the carpark
 GrahamD 23 May 2017
In reply to trouserburp:

> But a very large proportion of 'coasteerers' - giving money to private individuals and clogging up the carpark

Well clogging up the carpark is what everyone that uses a car park does whatever their chosen activity. Its never usually that hard to get there before the crowds though.

I guess one person's "giving money to private individuals" is another person's "contributing to the local economy".
 The Ivanator 23 May 2017

Sad. The fact that there is a dedicated parking space and there was no charge always gave me a little glow, the simple pleasure of getting something valued free of charge, all too rare today and sorry to see another example evaporate.
 trouserburp 23 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

If the coasteerers are spending some money with other local businesses I suppose that is a good thing but it still seems the case that climbers are going to start paying for parking when it used to be free (even if we were just getting it free because it wasn't cost-efficent National Trust having a meter/warden for the small number of cars)
-and the guy(s?) running £300/hr coasteering groups will only be paying for their one vehicle

maybe I am just jealous but I'm sure there is something wrong about this somewhere
 Albachoss 23 May 2017

Does anybody know if the charges overnight might be less? That carpark is/was one of the few quiet and peaceful (till the morning) places to kip left in the area.
 GrahamD 23 May 2017
In reply to trouserburp:

Which carpark is it by the way ? is this the Langton Matravers Spyways barn parking ?
 Neil Williams 23 May 2017
I see no reason one should not pay to rent a piece of land to store a car on.

However, I do object to the "high fee, all cash, change only" approach that is near universal. Needs to be mandatory to take cards at car parks in my view.
Post edited at 16:11
 John2 23 May 2017
In reply to trouserburp:

You can get £300 an hour running a coasteering group? Where do I apply?
 trouserburp 23 May 2017
In reply to John2:

Easily, it's a good idea really isn't it
 toad 23 May 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

Id imagine it will take an NT card.
 trouserburp 23 May 2017
In reply to John2:

Well ok £225 an hour and not easily you have to walk up and down the hill. The guy I've seen had groups of about 15 people, lined up one after the other, pick one up from car park when drop the other off. Few groups in a day. Going by websites they're paying £45 each for 3 hrs, seemed more like 1-2 hours in the actual activity
In reply to toad:

I'd imagine so, but I rather meant credit/debit card. Expecting people to have £8 in coins (Brimham Rocks) is a bit silly. Though when we went there was a guy there changing tenners for you, there won't be all the time.
 toad 23 May 2017

Cynically the nt dont want you to pay and go, they want you signed up as a member, and on a direct debit to boot. Everything at nt properties is pretty much geared up for that. They also want to scan ypur card so they know where and how often you visit.
In reply to toad:
Agreed, though Councils are as bad.

Best P&D system I have encountered - pay and display in Ambleside. Press a button for how long, tap your contactless card, sorted. No faff with change, apps, phone calls or any such nonsense.

Even better, pay on exit (camera enforced) using the same system. Drive in, on the way out enter your reg number, tap your card, done. If you fail to do so before leaving, fine arrives in the post automatically.
Post edited at 17:48
 johncook 23 May 2017

Surprise car park only takes cards and everyone complains that it should take cash. (It stopped taking cash because the scrotes from town would destroy the machine for the cash and the machine was expensive to repair/replace!)
In reply to johncook:

Ideally it should take both! (Vandalism/theft is an issue with cash, though, and is primarily why machines don't give change - if they don't, the cash box can be below ground and thus less nickable).
 steve taylor 24 May 2017
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> Or park on the public road somewhere in Langton Matravers and walk from there. Might be a bit cheaper than a boat, though of course not as much fun.

And then the BMC will have to deal with complaints from locals about climbers blocking driveways and the road in general.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...