UKC

Lambley quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Julian entwistle 28 May 2017
Recently seen a good looking section of rock near lambley, Northumberland. It's by a public footpath, 60-70 feet, good looking lines, no chalk marks, no sign of gear placement or activity around the foot of the rock. Can't see it listed on maps, took photos, just wondered if and what routes had been done?
 coinneach 28 May 2017
In reply to Julian entwistle:

I lived in Lambley for six years and am only a few miles from there now. We tried to create some routes on the the north facing crag about 20 years ago but the Rock is very friable and dangerous.

Mick Johnson and Steve Puncheon put a couple of first ascents up on the south facing crag but I don't think they were ever recorded ( or repeated ).

Julian entwistle 28 May 2017
In reply to coinneach:
Is that the one by the viaduct, I've just moved into the area, haven't climbed for some time and surprised how clean it looked. There didn't appear any new rockfall but obviously the top looked dubious. Cheers for the feedback
 Lankyman 29 May 2017

If it's the big impressive stuff by the viaduct I remember abbing down in the 80's when I lived in Carlisle. It looked like a huge cleaning job - lots of pine needles and soil if I recall rightly. I didn't persevere as there seemed to be lots more to go at with slightly less death potential!
 coinneach 29 May 2017

Yeah they're both near the viaduct, the south facing crag is the more obvious of the two.
Julian entwistle 29 May 2017
In reply to Lankyman:
That's the one, looks as though someone may have cleaned it but incredible that there doesn't seem any activity on it. Agree with you about the potential for grief as the top looks a tad loose.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's when my early sales rep area included most of western Northumberland, western Durham and Cumbria, I searched almost all of the North Pennines area looking for potential crags for possible inclusion in the old North of England guide. General consensus back then was that it was too friable to be worthwhile, with loose / dangerous topouts - but then again it was in an era of very traditional ethics. Our group was also developing the excellent Eden Valley routes so were a bit spoiled for choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...