UKC

Running an Organisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 May 2017
Last years I posted: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=648804&v=1#x8378862 in which I explained that the Mrs was involved in a Patients Group.

Since my OP things have gone from bad to worse with people not bothering to turn up for meetings. Long story short, with no one prepared to serve as Chairman or Secretary the Mrs(as the one and only committee member!) put out an email asking who wanted the group to continue and who wanted it to be wound up. Almost predictably the vote was 50-50 but of those who wanted continuation virtually all of them effectively said they couldn't/wouldn't serve on the committee and couldn't guarantee any commitment to the organisation.
Now, notwithstanding that in my limited experience the set up is unconstitutional in not having a committee, I've suggested to the Mrs that she puts an email out saying that in the absence of anyone serving on the committee she will resign as treasurer.
Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Advice appreciated.
 Dave B 30 May 2017
In reply to FesteringSore:

Check the constitution. It will normally state how many are required on the committee for it to be allowed to continue, It will usually state that if there are not the three main roles filled, then there is a certain amount of time that it can continue before it it is required to be 'wound up' and any assets transferred to an appropriate body.

Its a mistake to ask people if they want it to continue. Its simply one of, 'unless we have a committee structure in place in XXX days, the group will be wound up.'

Does anyone pay anything? Are there any assets? Does the Surgery have any interest in it continuing or any input at all? Is one of the Doctors co-opted on as part of the constitution.

trouserburp 31 May 2017

Sometimes committees, working groups etc run their course, let it die instead of getting embittered trying to continue. Why is there a treasurer for a patient group, what's the budget for?

If there is a strong enough need it will be resurrected in some form
 Rosemary7391 31 May 2017

The reality is, if insufficient people care enough to fill all the required positions, then the group will be wound down whether they like it or not. Your wife can't run it on her own! I'd suggest she contact the last chairman, secretary etc for their help in winding it down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...