UKC

Areas to live: Liverpool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EdH 31 May 2017
Hi, just wonder if anyone local could give me some advice what the area just near Great Homer street, near the big sainsbury's is like to live please?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sainsbury's+Great+Homer+Street/@53...

I don't need fancy restaurants etc. but also don't want more chance of hassle with cars getting damaged by accidentally picking a dodgy area! It looks very close to the climbing walls which could be good for my training.

Thanks very much,
Ed
 Mooncat 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:

It's rough, very rough, that's why property is so cheap.
OP EdH 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:

Thanks, useful to know!
 Morty 31 May 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

> It's rough, very rough, that's why property is so cheap.

What he said.
 Morty 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:

> but also don't want more chance of hassle with cars getting damaged by accidentally picking a dodgy area!

I'd be more worried about having my car shot at.

If you are looking at moving to Liverpool I'd try the South, or much further North. Parts of the Wirral are lovely too.

Mooncat 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

I live in Roby now, lived in Mossley hill and near the Anglican cathedral before that. Roby's definitely the nicest.
OP EdH 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:

Cool, thanks!
 Morty 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:
> Hi, just wonder if anyone local could give me some advice

This is very much a personal opinion based on my knowledge of the city. I'll try to keep it to a yes or no.

Aigburth: Yes
Aintree: Mostly yes
Allerton Yes
Anfield Yes for footy - no for living.
Broad Green Yes and no - go and have a look
Calderstones I wish
Childwall Yes
Clubmoor I'm saying naaaah - but you could have a look.
Cressington Yes
Croxteth Some lovely housing - don't let the shootings put you off. Although it is quite a way out.
Dingle No - Does the Baltic Triangle come into this? If it does, and you have a massive beard and love craft beer, then it could be a yes but is probably a no. If it does not then defo a no.
Edge Hill - could be good - probably bad.
Everton - speaks for itself - avoid.
Fairfield Don't know
Fazakerly Parts look okay - but I'd swerve it
Fullwood Park Tres bon
Garston Parts are ookay - parts will find you stabbed and bleeding to death outside a pub
Gateacre Yes
Gillmoss I wouldn't fancy it - too far out
Grassendale Yes - if I could afford it - which I never will be able to.
Hunts Cross Yes -and it is on the Northern Line
Kirkdale Never
Knotty Ash Yes - though a bit out of the way
Mossley Hill All day
Netherley Only if I was moving to Liverpool to sell smack
Norris Green See Netherley
Old Swan Nope
Orrell Park - I've got a mate who lives here who likes it but I think it is too close to Walton and Bootle.
Otterspool Lovely
Smithdown Good bits and bad bits
Speke F*cking shithole - I grew up there
St.Michael's Yes
Stanley Park Probably not
Toxteth I'm saying no, but my body, my body's telling me yer... Go and have a look around and see what you think. Tuebrook I don't know - looks shit. I got a shit tattoo there once.
Vauxhall No
Walton No
Wavertree Yes and no
West Derby EEeeeeee
Woolton Are you rich?

Greater Liverpool & Merseyside

Ainsdale Yes
Bebington Yes
Birkdale Oh, yes
Birkenhead NOOOOOOOOOOO
Bootle Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Live here for ten years - the stories I could tell you... (none of them good)
Brighton le Sands also known as Waterloo yes
Bromborough maybe
Crosby Yes - very nice
Eastham Yes
Ford No
Formby very yes
Hale Pretty
Hale Bank Pretty shit
Halewood Avoid Torry.
Heswall Yes
Hoylake Yes
Huyton A bit far out (and shit) for me
Kirkby Not unless you want all of your socks robbed
Litherland Maybe
Lydiate Yes
Maghull Yes
Moreton Maybe Netherton If you want to wander around all day wondering why the lads there don't know where the barber shop is. And why they are trying to shoot you.
New Brighton Yes
New Ferry Don't know
Newton Le Willows = Newton Le Wools
Oxton why not
Prescot No
Rainhill No
Roby - a bit far out for me
Saint Helens - they like rugby - wools
Seaforth - no
Thornton maybe
West Kirby Yes
Whiston no
Wallasey why would you bother
Waterloo yes

I've said yes to a lot of the Wirral ones because if you can afford a house there then you can afford to drive a fast car and pay the tunnel fees. Outside of that I've tried to imagine that you are on one of the main train lines. Obviously, many people would disagree with many of my choices and you would be foolish to believe anything that I have said without going and having a gander.

I hope it is of some help.
Post edited at 19:11
 abr1966 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

Great post! I'm out of date as not lived there for a long time but grew up in Paige Moss!

OP....avoid where you were thinking, you'll be watching yourself too much living there. Smithdown/Allerton areas are good if you are young and reasonable prices...
 Chris Harris 31 May 2017
In reply to EdH:

This is very much a personal opinion based on my knowledge of the city. I'll try to keep it to a yes or no.

Liverpool. No.
 Dave the Rave 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

Good post)))
 goldmember 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:
sums it up nicely, only 35 mins on the train to sandhills from west kirby
Post edited at 21:18
 climbingpixie 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:
> Tuebrook I don't know - looks shit. I got a shit tattoo there once.

I wouldn't recommend it. I lived there for a year as a student - the £36 a week rent and the fact that the landlord let us stay there rent free over the summer should've been a warning sign but it wasn't. On the plus side it's got a big Iceland and is handy for buying drugs, being walking distance from both Kenny and Anfield.
Post edited at 21:42
 BrainoverBrawn 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

Tres bon. Um. That might help do you think. I am interested in Marseille. Could you manage it?
My guess,
Marseille, yes but does the bank say yes.
Cassis or other outlying areas, yes please. Bank, snigger, job, yes!
Lovely reply though, to think you are willing to be so friendly for us all.
OP EdH 31 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

Amazing reply- thanks very much! (I'll chuck the equivalent of a pint or two in the next mountain rescue box I see as an online alternative to buying you a drink!)
 steveboote 01 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH: like any city places change. If Sainsbury's are investing they know something. Despite Morty's comments Speke is far different to the 80's. I know of a clinical psychologist from London who bought a house online in Kensington without viewing, moved up to work and sold at profit????Albeit it wasn't the Kensington she knew and loved! Flats to rent around Eldonian Village may be a better option. At the end of the day it's what ur after your budget and how confident u are and prepared to integrate communities. As I said places are changing, crime rates are falling...and the Polish fitted right in!

IMA 01 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

OP - No. And Liverpool isn't big enough to be that far from any wall. the south side of the Wirral to AW or the CH is 20-30 minutes by car. 45 min by train I'd imagine

and to Morty - Generally fair, maybe a few more on the no list, but that all depends what you want, expect, are used to and can afford.
 Pekkie 01 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

Know Merseyside well and while your analysis is a bit broadbrush and unfair to places like Prescot and Rainhill, pretty accurate. A more objective measure might be the Bargain Booze test: does the local branch have staff with booze cowering behind armoured glass or is it open so you can handle your bottles/cans. Another test that never fails is the 'dogs in the park' test. Go to the local park and take a sample of the dog breeds being walked. Are they spaniels/retrievers or are they dangerous dog/pit bull types? We're talking about a scientific approach here.
 subtle 01 Jun 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

> It's rough, very rough, that's why property is so cheap.

Basically you are talking about the whole of Liverpool here aren't you
 Graham Booth 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

This is hysterical and spot on..

Saw when location location said Garston was up and coming......yeh out of the ffing Stone Age
 Graham Booth 02 Jun 2017
In reply to subtle:

Walton and Fazakerly are as rough as a badgers arse on fire
 Pekkie 02 Jun 2017
In reply to subtle:

> Basically you are talking about the whole of Liverpool here aren't you

If you mean that the whole of Liverpool is rough, very rough, then that's a stupid and ignorant thing to say.
 ben b 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Some subtle imagery in the post makes me think it wasn't a serious comment...

I worked in Merseyside for four years - looked at a lot of houses and finally ended up S of Warrington and did lots of commuting, as we struggled to find anywhere nice and affordable in Liverpool (choose any one).

B
 Morty 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

I suppose Rainhill
> Know Merseyside well and while your analysis is a bit broadbrush and unfair to places like Prescot and Rainhill, pretty accurate.

I suppose Rainhill isn't bad for Pex Hill.

I like your other tests.
 Morty 02 Jun 2017
In reply to steveboote:

> Despite Morty's comments Speke is far different to the 80's.

Not different enough though, mate.
 Stichtplate 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:
Last year, I was driving back from the city centre towards the m62, stopped at the Kentucky down from the airport (think it's still Speke?). Plexiglass security screens over the serving counter, just like a banks, plus two security guards. This was 7:30 on a Sunday night! Thought I'd entered the Twilight Zone.
Post edited at 15:19
 Alan M 03 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

Just to throw a different slant on things as many people would say No to Bootle. I bought a house here 7 years ago and the reality of the town is far from the gossip and rumours.

Parts of the town are shite...dont get me wrong! Would I live down Marsh Lane for example? No chance. However, the section I purchased in is linked to Orrell Park and also Litherland this part of Bootle is pretty green and family friendly. All of my estate and the neighbouring linked estates are semis with gardens driveways etc. And full of familys and the elderly. The housebuilders have arrived in numbers over the last few years. The New estate popping up at top of my street are starting around the 160-180K when I purchased on the estate it was £120k max. Due the housing type and prices the type of person moving in to the area is changing and so are the dynamics.

I have had no issues with personal crime in this part of Bootle I feel safe walking around at night and often get last train home from the city and walk. Obviously every town has its rogues but overall this part of Bootle is pretty good for day to day life.

Places change as time goes on so my advice is visit the areas you are thinking of and see what you think. I'll be honest the place you mention would not be my 1st choice!!
 steveboote 03 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:
Not looking like Lodge Lane rapidly on it's way to being the London equivalent of Notting Hill at moment, there was hope. Still anywhere near Sefton Park will give you good green space and a place to run/jog
 xbraddersx 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:
I agree pretty much with this.

However, I lived in a small cottage in Woolton (not rich!) and hated it, now I'm near Brunswick Station (which is a much worse area) and love it because of the location and feel.

Esssentially for the climbing walls you want anything on the Northern Line and most of the areas after central are nice. St Michaels/Aigburth is very competitive due to proximity Lark Lane/Parks.

I do not know north Liverpool at all as I grew up in Dingle (not a great place, was recently followed by about 50 teenagers on bicycles!)
Post edited at 00:13
 Morty 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Alan M:

I wasn't trying to insult Bootle (it can do that well enough itself) but the area that you seem to be talking about is hardly representative of Bootle. In fact you described it as more like Orrell Park or Litherland yourself. Is it by the ASDA?

My mate lives just up from there - towards the Walton end - and seems to like it. However, it is still not representative of L20 on the whole.

P.S. I too lived in Bootle for nearly ten years (but not in any part that could be considered nice) as well as working there then and now..
 Neil Williams 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:
Fazakerley and Aintree are pretty much run together and both are very similar, I wouldn't say yes to Aintree and no to Fakazerley, I'd say you need the same answer to both, which to me is "average ish city area with a lot of 2 up 2 down Victorian terraces and semis". The Old Roan is also OK (this is a distinct, and slightly nicer, area, and is NOT known as Aintree Village by any locals despite the road signs claiming this. It is basically very similar to Maghull).

Further out Ormskirk is decent (if pricey) and well within the Liverpool commuter area, though at times a bit of a studentville.
Post edited at 19:34
 Alan M 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:
> I wasn't trying to insult Bootle (it can do that well enough itself) but the area that you seem to be talking about is hardly representative of Bootle. In fact you described it as more like Orrell Park or Litherland yourself. Is it by the ASDA? My mate lives just up from there - towards the Walton end - and seems to like it. However, it is still not representative of L20 on the whole. P.S. I too lived in Bootle for nearly ten years (but not in any part that could be considered nice) as well as working there then and now..

The point I was trying to make is do not just rule out places such as Bootle because it is Bootle as there are parts of Bootle just as good for day to day living as anywhere else on the list. Yes quite a bit of Bootle has major issues, I pointed out an area that I would not live however to just tar the entire town as a NO is a bit unfair. The area I live in I suppose historically you would call it Orrell but comes under the Bootle banner (sits in between Orrell park and Litherland). This part of Bootle is a completely different world compared to say the estates around Stanley Road or Marsh Lane or Knowlsey Road etc. I agree there are lots of issues in Bootle as a whole but this part seems to have enough separation from it and continually improving.

The issue in this part now seems to be house prices as they are jumping (compared to wider Bootle which is pretty stagnant and cheap) which is good and bad I suppose. The new builds around my estate are all family orientated 3 and 4 bed detached and semi-detached. The dynamics around my estate and on my estate have changed massively in the last 5 years. From speaking to new people on the estate most (I have spoken to) seem to be young families from the more affluent areas that have been priced out of their traditional home areas and moving here for a cheaper property but obviously driving up the prices as they do.

Just pointing out that there are parts of the less desirable areas that can offer a decent standard of living. The trick is finding them and I accept for someone from outside of Liverpool buying in somewhere like Bootle they could make a mistake and easily end up in one of the less desirable areas of the town. I agree this area is not representative of the entire town of Bootle but it is part of the Town and just pointing out that the entire Town is not all bad.
Post edited at 21:22
 birdie num num 04 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

Penny Lane is nice. All the people that come and go, stop and say hello.
 Morty 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Alan M:

Good reply - well put.
Ste Brom 06 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

Go in live in Hamilton square in Birkenhead.
Good PT connections, couple of good pubs and not in darkest Birkenhead. And its not Liverpool.
 Pekkie 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

Yeah, but would you be a neighbour? Seriously, Ste Brom, you still around?
 Timmd 06 Jun 2017
In reply to steveboote:

> Not looking like Lodge Lane rapidly on it's way to being the London equivalent of Notting Hill at moment, there was hope. Still anywhere near Sefton Park will give you good green space and a place to run/jog

What's Sefton Park like now as an area? A relative used to live in the flats on Linnet Lane.
Ste Brom 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Cheeky sod, I'm flying the flag for Wirral here, and I'm house trained now.
 Morty 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:
> Cheeky sod, I'm flying the flag for Wirral here, and I'm house trained now.

Yer, but nobody wants to listen to Strange Little Girl in the morning, Bring on the Nubiles in the afternoon and Golden Brown in the evening - played at 11 volume - every day.
And as if you'll ever be house-trained.
Post edited at 19:28
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

> Yer, but nobody wants to listen to Strange Little Girl in the morning, Bring on the Nubiles in the afternoon and Golden Brown in the evening - played at 11 volume - every day. And as if you'll ever be house-trained.

Ah, you can take the kid out of scallyland...
 freeheel47 08 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

Just because there is a big new supermarket does not mean a place is on the up. The Sainsbury's on Great Homer Street may well go the same way as the Tescos on Park Road (Toxteth)- which is always empty and will shortly close.

I live in South Liverpool- on a Saturday morning it is about a 25 minute drive to either of the walls.

What sort of place do you want to live in? Budget? Where will you work / study? Own transport? Bike? Public transport?

It is very hard to add to Morty's observations other than to say that there is now a huge amount of accommodation both for sale and to rent in the city centre / in the docks. Quite a bit is for sale by auction and there are also small flats for sale by the dozen in the city. The Georgian Quarter in the city centre (including bits in L8- Toxteth) can be good as well (not always just depends exactly where)

If you are coming from outside the city then I'd suggest either the city centre (including the Baltic Triangle- which was recently declared the coolest place to live in the UK by the Times (if you care) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/20-coolest-places-to-live-in-britain-qc8... or South Liverpool- meaning Smithdown Road, Mossley Hill, Sefton Park (including a few bits of Toxteth), Lark Lane, Aigburth, St Michael's or if you can afford it Cressington, Grassington, Fulwood.

I've lived in Liverpool for the last 30 yrs (exiled Londoner).
 steveboote 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:
The parks looking better, the pubs are looking worse, ( could be an age thing) depends how far u go back, it would be my first choice if I was young and low budget.
 Timmd 08 Jun 2017
In reply to steveboote:

Thanks. I haven't gone there since the early 90's I'd guess. When my grandma lived in the area it wasn't so great.
 steveboote 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:
Not for long, has he heard about the Breck?
OP EdH 08 Jun 2017
In reply to EdH:

Thanks very much everyone. I ended up renting a flat in the georgian quarter (in a bit that feels like a nice area!). Seems like it'll do the job to start with, for sure I'm saving this thread for future use when it's time to move!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...