UKC

Do you know where to camp and climb in Switzerland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
removed user 06 Jun 2017
Hey all, I'm going to be in Switzerland in August and hoping to find some great rock climbing with a campground nearby. Ideally somewhere in the West of Switzerland but will travel for a good spot. Sport or trad, even via ferrata or ridge climbs, we're not fussy. Thanks!
 Carless 06 Jun 2017
In reply to removed user:

Grimsel & Susten Passes give you lots of choice on granite & limestone
 nickh1964 08 Jun 2017

Totally agree with the above, by moving valleys you can often escape wet weather, the Grimsel area has loads to go at, the is an excellent campsite not fro from Andermatt but it was a whole ago and I cannot recall the exact details of where. I have camped wild in that area putting tent up late night, moving on early and had no problems. If the weather really turns nasty you can always head south to Mello............
 IPPurewater 08 Jun 2017

There are some campsites in and near Innertkirchen - shown on Googlemaps. I haven't used them though as we had a campervan and just parked up discreetly each night, so can't give a recommendation.
 full stottie 08 Jun 2017

Good advice above. Meiringen is a good centre for the Grimsel Pass, where there are at least half a dozen campsites between Meiringen and the top of the pass. Many more on both sides of the two lakes between here and Interlaken. Bolted climbing at Grimsel and Handegg, Mittagfluh, and lower level sports crags Rotsteinl, Bereitl and others nearby if the higher crags are out due to weather . Swiss Plaisir West is the guidebook. Loads to do on rest days - the Reichenbach Falls, the train up the Eiger to the Monch, swimming, there's even a climbing wall in Meiringen.... blah blah. Just google campsites near Meiringen or Grimsel or Interlaken - sorry can't recommend any personally, but they all looked pretty decent when we passed by.
Hope this helps.
Dave
 Alex Pryor 08 Jun 2017
In reply to full stottie:
Two good campsites in Innertkirchen are the closest to the Grimsel Pass crags, or used to be. There is also one partway up the Süsten Pass. Andermatt is probably closest site to Furka Pass.
Grimsel is my favourite climbing area. Wonderful granite slabs of all grades. Mostly bolted, but "sportingly".

removed user 12 Jun 2017

Thanks very much everyone. Grimsel Pass is clearly a stand out. In the end we landed on Gimmelwald. There's not a huge amount there but that's not an issue as it's only a short trip, and the setting looks spectacular. Plus it's high and that'll help me acclimatise for the alpine climbing I'm doing afterwards.
 victorclimber 12 Jun 2017

Salbitschijen has to be a go to place.. you can free camp up the valley or take everything you want on the small telepherique and camp not to far from the Hut ,stacks of Rock to go at including the superb West Ridge and the classic South Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...