UKC

Dragons and Mammoths not found

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JCB42 09 Jun 2017
So I've recently landed in the Bay of Plenty area of New Zealand. 2 months in and I've now got a bit of a climbing group together. [Discovered there is a Froggat in NZ too!]

Looking to buy DMM quickdraws and a good Mammut Serenity 8.7 single rope. (Its all sport over here, little trad)

Why those brands? Well I love DMM have always been loyal to their brand since Uni. Likewise with Mammut, I think there kit is some of the best on the market (ignoring pricepoint here)

But I can't find them for the life of me after many a google attempt. Anybody have any ideas?

I've my full trad rack in the UK which I'll be shipping over, but that's at least 4/5 months away. I know I need a new rope, and a few more QD's never hurt anybody. But the online offerings seem to be pretty poor

Have I missed a trick? Does anybody know some good NZ gear websites to look at for a wider range of stuff?

Assuming I can't get over my gear snobbery (which I guess it probably is having being spoilt by our UK, US and EU brands). Does anybody know a good climbing site that does International Shipping?
 SenzuBean 09 Jun 2017
In reply to JCB42:

I had a quick look but also couldn't find much DMM stuff for sale in NZ. I used the old 'site:.nz' to search for DMM stuff, and found almost nothing - which fits my recollection last time I went back that it was BD and petzl that had pretty much cornered the NZ market.

Australia is probably your best bet. I had a quick look, and found one set of DMM QDs here: http://www.k2.com.au/shop/DMM
There are probably a lot more shops there too.

In terms of Mammut - you're probably out of luck.
 mark_chal 09 Jun 2017
In reply to JCB42:

Climbing gear choice is limited in New Zealand. Bryces climbing and gearshop are probably your best choices. However gear is a lot more pricey and you get a lot less choice (far less climbers in New Zealand makes the market very small) Most people I know buy gear online from the uk (banana fingers does reasonable priced shipping) you just have to be careful as if it is over $400 nzd you get charged an import tax.
 sean1 10 Jun 2017
In reply to JCB42:

You can get DMM in a few places in NZ but it is expensive. You are better to send for it from the UK, Germany or France.
The USA use to be good also but the increase price of shipping doesn't make it as good as it use to be. If you order from the UK or Europe you will pay less the VAT. Just remember to keep the combined cost of goods + the shipping to less than NZ$400. Some places have better shipping costs than others. For the UK Banana Fingers and Outside are approx. 12 pounds. Rock n Run are approx. 17-20 pounds. It's best to check each site. Mammut use to be sold in NZ through Mountain Designs (Australian Company) but they are no longer here. They do ship to NZ and you will pay less the GST (10%) for AU$15. I have included the link, which they have a sale on at present.http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/equipment/climbing-gear?pageSize=12&am...
If you any questions reply.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...