UKC

May to see Queen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Nevill 09 Jun 2017
No, not the band...

Only feasible outcome currently, Tory & DUP have a slender majority. Feasible? Yes. Desirable? Hmm..

Question to David Cameron: What if you don't win the referendum?
Answer: I won't even think about that.

Question to Teresa May: What if you don't get a bigger majority?
Answer: I won't even think about that.

Question to HM Government: What happens when the Brexit negotiations get difficult and very, very complex?
Answer:

Have a guess at that one.
Worrying times.
 tony 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

I wonder how blunt the Queen could be? Would it be inconceivable for her to suggest to May that the Tories have made an almighty mess of things with the Brexit referendum and this election, and that frankly, it's time for someone else to clear up the mess?
 Hat Dude 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

The Sun's deputy political editor has earned his crust, tweeting "Reshuffle certain for this afternoon"

No shit Sherlock!
 summo 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Minority leadership with an informal dup agreement is my guess. She knows the blairites will side with her. So Corbyn only really has 100-150 avid supporters at best.
 Postmanpat 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

It's OK folks, she's going to lead a government which provides "certainty". Panic over.....
 Hat Dude 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> It's OK folks, she's going to lead a government which provides "certainty". Panic over.....

And she promises to keep us "safe and secure" what a relief!
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm sure it will be strong and stable, too.
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I'm sure it will be strong and stable, too.

What May has delivered today is the very thing she spent 8 weeks telling us over and over again not to vote for. A coalition of chaos.
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Indeed. And the whole bloody mess of Brexit is down to internal fighting within Tory ranks, too. None of it in the national interest. All of it down to party and personal interests.

It disgusts me.
 handofgod 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

If I hear 'strong and stable' one more time...
 sensibleken 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

"Question to HM Government: What happens when the Brexit negotiations get difficult and very, very complex?
Answer: "

The DUP will smite the EU with their terrible god powers
 krikoman 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

"I have just been to see Her Majesty the Queen"
...........and when she stopped laughing.......
 Yanis Nayu 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

There is absolutely no end to her levels of delusion. It's really not normal.
 pec 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> What May has delivered today is the very thing she spent 8 weeks telling us over and over again not to vote for. A coalition of chaos. >

Yep, vote Corbyn, get coalition of chaos (just not the one you were expecting).
 Trangia 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Being leader of the Conservative party is a poisoned chalice today. I doubt that anyone else in the party wants the job right now.
 balmybaldwin 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Hat Dude:

> The Sun's deputy political editor has earned his crust, tweeting "Reshuffle certain for this afternoon"No shit Sherlock!

He screwed that up didn't he! PM without the power to even move her pawns
 Roadrunner5 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Being leader of the Conservative party is a poisoned chalice today. I doubt that anyone else in the party wants the job right now.

They really are risking peace in Northern Ireland. If the DUP help establish a secure border, remove the Irish citizenship from the people of the North or even jeapordize that issue then the good friday agreement is defunct..

In reply to Roadrunner5:

> They really are risking peace in Northern Ireland.

Good point. It's hard to see how the British government can possibly be impartial in the peace process between the two opposing sides in Northern Ireland now that the Unionists have got May over a barrel.
 Pekkie 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Brian May?
 krikoman 12 Jun 2017
In reply to pec:

> Yep, vote Corbyn, get coalition of chaos (just not the one you were expecting).

But surely he's "not a potential PM who can reach out to the wider public." so there's nothing to worry about
Pan Ron 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Jim Nevill:
Pure guess here, I'm usually proven wrong, and it may just be wishful thinking.....but I think her alliance with the DUP will scupper her in short order.

As much as there are a load of conservative voters out there, I think even they will either be horrified by the DUP or find this to be an ideal time to virtue-signal to their children or political opponents - "we may be Tories, but no way are we as rabid and horrible as that mob". Even when still receiving the most votes, the simple fact that she screwed up, has seen May's support crumble. The finger-pointing that will result from an alliance with the DUP, rightly or wrongly, will just erode rather than strengthen her...then defections, challenges, grumbling, all leading to a cycle of collapse. I have the popcorn in the microwave.

She once had some modicum of credibility, no matter how ill-deserved. She is increasingly becoming a laughing-stock, a bit of a Blair-after-Iraq figure, and soon pretty much impotent.
Post edited at 17:07
Gone for good 12 Jun 2017
In reply to krikoman:

I just heard on the radio that the Queens speech has been postponed for an undefined period of time. Apparently the original speech was written down (before the election) on some kind of special parchment and the ink takes days to dry.
After the outcome of the election the speech has to be rewritten, a work in progress I assume but it won't be ready or dry in time for next Monday!!!
Are we in the 18th or 21st Century or was someone on Radio 5 live taking the piss at my expense?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.
 tony 12 Jun 2017
In reply to David Martin:

> As much as there are a load of conservative voters out there, I think even they will either be horrified by the DUP or find this to be an ideal time to virtue-signal to their children or political opponents - "we may be Tories, but no way are we as rabid and horrible as that mob".

I think the fact that the DUP are pretty much unknown to many voters here will help drag things out a bit longer. If both sides are remotely smart (I know, the evidence isn't helpful ...), the DUP won't let their socially conservative agenda play a part, and instead they'll concentrate on getting lots of money for NI infrastructure as their part of the deal.

> She once had some modicum of credibility, no matter how ill-deserved. She is increasingly becoming a laughing-stock, a bit of a Blair-after-Iraq figure, and soon pretty much impotent.

Quite agree. I think it was summed up yesterday when it was left to Michael Fallon to defend the DUP deal (or potential deal), instead of May doing it herself. She still doesn't seem to have learned that parrotting stock phrases about 'certainty' is not the same as showing decisive leadership. I read something in the paper today with a senior Tory saying she had to put in a barnstorming performance when she faced the 1922 Committee, at which point I thought - 'she's f*cked'. The idea she could ever manage barnstorming is beyond belief.

John2 12 Jun 2017
In reply to tony:

You might say that now she's just about managing.
Jim C 12 Jun 2017
In reply to tony:

> I wonder how blunt the Queen could be? Would it be inconceivable for her to suggest to May that the Tories have made an almighty mess of things with the Brexit referendum and this election, and that frankly, it's time for someone else to clear up the mess?

Maybe ( it's possible) the Queen is a hard Brexiteer, and who knows what her comments to May may have been.
In reply to Jim C:

It is also possible that she was tempted to wield the Wilkinson.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...