UKC

Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
potted shrimp 09 Jun 2017
Is there one centre in the Dolomites where you don't need a car to get to the starts of climbs/walks etc or is a car unavoidable? Thanks for any suggestions
 Jenny C 09 Jun 2017
In reply to potted shrimp:

Have always driven, but we've met a fair few people around Cortina who were just relying on buses and said that once you decipher the different companies and pay system they worked OK.
 Casa Alfredino 09 Jun 2017

We always recommend that our guests rent a car. In my opinion it's the only way to really make the best of the area, the one exception to this being if you are linking via ferrata routes hut to hut. The climbing areas tend to be a little disparate. I have done it before only using buses and hitching and we ended up hitching most of the time as it was more regular! Or you could find somewhere to stay near the Sella Pass where you can get to lots of climbing in one area very easily. For example there is a hotel at Pian Schivaneis - you'd have Civazes, Pordoi, Sella towers the sport at Schivaneis, Sass di Roccia, Possneckerweg, Cinque Dite, Sassolungo, Innerkofler and Grohmanspitze all within easy striking distance. But accomodation will be more pricey. You'd have to get a train to Bolzano and then bus to Canazei and then either a taxi or hitch up to the pass - think there might be a bus too but not sure. Or get off at Campitelli di Fassa and catch the cable car up to Col Rodella and then walk down to the pass from there...
potted shrimp 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Thank you and to Jenny for the advice. I guess there's no real practical alternative to taking the car which is what we've always done in the Alps. Cheers. Potted
 Mike Peacock 09 Jun 2017

Are you climbing or walking (as this has been posted on Hill Talk)? Corvara is a convenient base without a car. Lots to do from the village or via buses.
 Trangia 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Plus 1 for Corvara. Lots of walking,climbing, and via ferrata within walking distance.
 yelotango 10 Jun 2017

Vigo di Fassa can reached by regular SAD buses from Bolzano or Tentino Transporti buses from Trento,
There`` i`s a good range of accomdation & easy access (lift) to Rosengarten.
Also regular buses to skilifts in Campitello for SassoLungo, Canazei for Colac.
Shuttle buses run to Val Monzon & San Nicolo. Great area for via ferrata, day walks or hut to hut walks.

Another under-rated area is the Pale di San Martino is accessible from San Martino di Castrozza.
 Phil_ncl 10 Jun 2017
A car helps a lot BUT isn't needed. Friends have definitely managed fine on the buses.

Areas with the highest concentrations of routes within easy reach are those near to the Falzerago Pass probably. Cortina jumps to mind with buses in a few directions and a good number of shops, campsites and other amenities. Corvara is similar for that respect but a bit quieter and a bit more awkward to get to.

Cortina has two/three via ferrata you can get on from by ski lifts in the town centre: sci club 18 is a reasonably short day but a lot of fun & steep to make up. If you stay on the lift past the climb you can get up higher to at least one walk that my parents have done and a sport climbing area. There are also a couple of via ferrata and potential walks off the lift up Tofana di Mezzo (these normally make for pretty big days and are pretty hefty).

A bus up the Falzerago pass takes no time really and puts you at the lift for the tomaselli route and also the base of the alpini brigade route. Going the other way I think there's a bus to the cristallo lift but I really can't be sure (easier ferrata and some walking). There's good climbing on the Falzerago and good walking too. For sport I'd recommend the 5 tori (bus stops at lift station) as it's a brill location and the climbing is pretty fun. There are some huge routes you can tick off around the Falzerago too e.g. Up Tofana di Rozzes. At the very top of the pass there is sport and trad climbing accessible from the bus stop.

Corvara also has a couple of pretty accessible ferrata and plenty of walking. There is plenty of climbing around and about too. I've not climbed there in an age but the Tridentina ferrata sticks in my memeory for cabled fun.

If you get one book for climbing/ ferrata the rock fax one is probably where your money is best spent. It's not the best written, nor does it give the best descriptions, but it does cover a very good mix of routes! Walking wise there's a nice little cicerone thing I've borrowed from my parents before now. Those would give you a good idea where things are

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...