UKC

100mb download limit frustration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimBee 13 Jun 2017
Why not let the user choose whether to download on mobile data rather than prevent them completely?

Sitting here at Gaillands with 500mb of inclusive roaming data but app won't let me download the c.150mb Chamonix Valley Crags topo.

I don't even understand the warning message "Unless an incremental download is available, this item may not download until you connect to wifi"
- what's an incremental download?
- how do I tell if one is available or not?
- why is there ambiguity, either it'll work or it won't, the app should know this based on the available criteria and just tell the user what will actually happen rather than speculating.

Ps it'd be an even more rediculous restriction if I were at home as I have a 10GB data plan and would happily download a whole guidebook.

Hi Jim, this 100MB limit is something imposed by Apple. People have been complaining about it for some years to no effect. Apparently there are ways of getting around it by fiddling with "airplane mode" whilst trying to start a download (google "ios 100mb limit cellular").

You might be able to get round it with two devices; set up a personal hotspot on one, then connect to that and download your thing on the other.

> - what's an incremental download?

> - how do I tell if one is available or not?

Not sure what one is or how to know if it's available.

> - why is there ambiguity, either it'll work or it won't, the app should know this based on the available criteria and just tell the user what will actually happen rather than speculating.

> Ps it'd be an even more rediculous restriction if I were at home as I have a 10GB data plan and would happily download a whole guidebook.

It is a very strange thing to have left in the operating system for so long. A warning I could understand. I suspect that once we move the packages to our own hosting solution (currently they're served by Apple), this will no longer be an issue.
Post edited at 13:37
OP JimBee 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

Thanks for explaining this. Ps I had searched the forum but not found anything on the same topic. Hopefully our exchange here will help others understand it's an Apple problem not rockfax. Cheers.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jun 2017
In reply to JimBee:
I've also heard if you try to download it and it then goes to waiting, restart your phone and it downloads over cellular.
Post edited at 15:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...