UKC

Anyone want to take me as a medic for an expedition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kramma 14 Jun 2017

32M
I lead solid 6a+ outdoors
Can trad and ice climb
Climbed three peaks under 24hrs
Skippered a yacht 6000NM from turkey to the UK (through french canals)
I am an anesthetic doctor with medical and a&e experience finishing core training August
No job from August

Anyone want to take me as a medic for an expedition?

Post ads below!?
Post edited at 21:11
OP Kramma 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

bump
 Nbrain 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

Love to hear how this goes...I'm in a similar position to you, apart from being in a training program! Would love to jack it and go and do some big trips!
aultguish 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

Have a look on the Explorers Connect website. There's usually some interesting expeditions pops up on there. Good luck to both of you.
 Damo 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

I don't want to discourage or criticise you, but just for the record; there is a whole ongoing conversation in expedition and medical circles about doctors 'working for free' on expeditions or similar trips.

I guess it seems like a great perk for a young medic, and it's usually great for companies that don't actually want to pay for a doctor, but it flows on up the chain over time and creates a culture that many find troubling.

Would you want to go on a serious trip in a large group where the team doctor is only half there, torn between the climbing/adventuring and the doctoring?

It can mean that some trips go without medics when they really should have one, because the companies are too tight to pay,and it means doctors trying to work regularly in the field professionally long-term (and thus both accrue and contribute real experience and expertise to enhance the profession) can't get work, as someone else will work a one-off 'for free'.

How much do you want to work for free? How much are you worth? I'm not a doctor, but like many people in many fields I've done work for free when starting out, for the experience. But increasingly in many fields this is being exploited and it's a slippery slope, for others if not yourself.
Removed User 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

Have you discussed this with your Medical Defence Organisation? Unless a fully paid up member of the expedition, your are technically working for repayment, even if in the form of food, transport etc.
OP Kramma 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Kramma:

Fair points all round. This was an open question into the vast pit that is the internet. I appreciate what people are saying. I just want to open both arms and know what is available in the world when I have an opportunity like I have.

P.S. Can't really approach MDU without knowing what the job/trip/blah was etc but I appreciate the post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...