UKC

Injury Club

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 19 Jun 2017

Who's in?

I have a hilarious inguinal hernia and have been advised not to do any sport or lift stuff until I see the surgeon at the end of the month.

Suffice to say, it's rubbish being injured and I am trying my absolute best not to just sit and eat biscuits.

Anyone else in a similar position injury wise?
 French Erick 20 Jun 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Had to google this...ouch!
Not at the moment but I feel your pain. Injuries suck. Is there any relief it's not a climbing one? Fingers and elbows take an eon to heal!
Good luck.
 Matt Vigg 20 Jun 2017

I definitely don't want to be a full member but I'm pretty sure I'd qualify for an honourary membership. Just about to start getting back into it after an elbow op and I've been searching for a good comeback plan, it's a dodgy time I find getting strong again without getting reinjured.

So far the best I've found is a bunch of Eric Horst training plans which I'm thinking of doing from beginner up, they include antagonist stuff as well. Bummer if you can't do any sport, maybe your best bet is to plan your comeback from your armchair with a beer...
 the sheep 20 Jun 2017

My wife has hurt her IT band and cant go out running for a while.
My ears are in sooo much pain right now
 Diddy 20 Jun 2017

Your circumstances are relative only to you so I can only say what happened to me. I am a hill walker, biker, runner. Four years ago I had key hole surgery for an inguinal hernia. I did not feel pain from the hernia site. My surgery was free under the UK National Health Service. After surgery I did pay for advice from a sports therapist, these people may be a bit more understanding of how keen we are to return to our sporting ways.

The programme I followed after researching various sources.

First week rest after surgery.
Weeks 2-4 short walks (2mls) x 3 a week and some light stretching.
Weeks 4-6 slowly regain strength. Cycling and swimming useful i.e less load bearing.
It takes approx. 9 weeks for the scar hardening to go.
No serious exercise for 4 months, stop anytime if pain is felt.

Might be cautious but I guess the last thing you want is to undergo surgery to repair a surgery.

OP bouldery bits 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Diddy:
Thanks for this - I certainly don't want this happening again so that's really useful info.

Looks like a long road to recovery. Sadly, mine is intermittently painful.

Hey ho! Maybe I'll just take up surfing instead.
Post edited at 16:45
In reply to all:

Thanks for all your positivity
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Get well soon Matt!
In reply to the sheep:

> My wife has hurt her IT band and cant go out running for a while.

> My ears are in sooo much pain right now

Painful for both! Get well soon Mrs Sheep!
 earlsdonwhu 20 Jun 2017

Dodgy elbow so went for a run instead of the climbing wall. Result strained /bruised heel.
Therefore, went for a bike ride next day. Elbow even worse after crashing in a slippery ford. Swimming next....just hope I don't drown!
 alx 20 Jun 2017

Blown A2 pulley on ring finger. Spent 8months training for a bouldering trip which no climbing was done!
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Goodness me, you aren't having much luck!
In reply to alx:

> Blown A2 pulley on ring finger. Spent 8months training for a bouldering trip which no climbing was done!

That sucks! Take it easy, I've had a few finger tweaks in the past, but luckily not a full implosion as of yet. Get well soon!
 Dervey 21 Jun 2017

3 months post ACL reconstruction. Very gingerly seconded a vdiff 2 days ago. Hopefully I'll start jogging soon, but the future is looking uncertain as to what level of activity I'll be able to return to. Currently spending most sunny days either working or rehabbing in the gym.
 gribble 21 Jun 2017

Long history of injuries of almost every type, but they can't be tested at the moment! Currently, been off climbing due to 5 months of intensive cancer treatment and major surgery, huge fatigue, risk of incontinence with exercise, weak as a jellyfish, risk of hernia and rupture of internal wounds due to surgery, lack of time. It WILL get better though!
 Chris Harris 21 Jun 2017
In reply to gribble:

I think you win the thread. Best wishes for your recovery.
 earlsdonwhu 21 Jun 2017

Survived swimming and a 5 mile walk today. Hurray!
 riddle 21 Jun 2017

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, leading to a ruptured Axillary vein. Ended up with a blood clot from low in the neck through to my bicep.
A few days after it occurred i was ironing a shirt for work, and my arm swelled, to the point where my fingers went purple. I lost all definition at the knuckles, wrist and elbow. My right bicep ended up 4 inches bigger than my left, gains bro! All duly photographed before heading to A&E of course.

A year of no climbing (sad face), Warfarin, and blood tests every two weeks for this period. Thankfully all that is in the past, it would seem my body grew a new vein to circumvent the blockage.

OP bouldery bits 21 Jun 2017
In reply to gribble:

>It WILL get better though!

Yes mate, it will.

OP bouldery bits 21 Jun 2017
In reply to riddle:

> A year of no climbing (sad face), Warfarin, and blood tests every two weeks for this period. Thankfully all that is in the past, it would seem my body grew a new vein to circumvent the blockage.

The human body is really incredible.
 stp 22 Jun 2017
> I have a hilarious inguinal hernia

That's a bummer but what's so funny about it?

As an older climber I find I'm almost permanently injured with one thing or another. Mostly nothing that stops me for more than a few days or so. Currently I just have lingering tennis elbow. Seems to have dragged on since March. Mostly stopped me from crimping which for me is no bad thing as it's forced me to confront my open handed weakness, something I've definitely improved at as a result.

Hope the surgery goes well and you have a swift recovery. The positive thing about time out is the swift progress you can make when restarting, which is always nice.
Post edited at 17:04
 Matt Vigg 22 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

I had tennis elbow for a few months and then my bicep tendon popped off the bone (at the elbow)! To be fair it was as a result of doing a big dyno to an undercut which I only just hung with one arm, until I heard the tendon go.... At least it didn't hurt and now I have a new tendon after surgery!

Sorry - I'm sure this isn't waiting in the wings for you, it just brought back some memories....
 Steve nevers 22 Jun 2017

> I have a hilarious inguinal hernia

> Anyone else in a similar position injury wise?

I've got one of those!
Although mines only mildly amusing.

Been awaiting surgery for 10 months now, had sod all advice to stop doing anything in the meantime, the gaggle of GPs I've been passed around collectively don't seem to have a clue.

Managed to boulder a bit on it, but been out of work as a roofer since the injury, had my op cancelled 3 times already now, awaiting a pre-op appointment confirmation for the 4th time now.

Bloody bored of it I can tell thee!
 Si_G 23 Jun 2017

Sprained ankle won't heal, broken toe won't heal, scars on hands are still at the pain stage, and just found unexplained low blood sugar!
I'm going to take up indoor swimming instead :-/
 stp 27 Jun 2017

Two injuries for me this week.

1. L shoulder. Did something to it 6 days ago, possibly when doing deadlifts. Seems mostly better now.

2. R shoulder. Fell off a roof while bouldering indoors today. Fell on my back and landed on my shoulder. Quite sore and had to cut my session short because of it. Hoping it too will resolve in a few days.

Always find shoulder injuries somewhat gripping as they often seem to be serious and longlasting. Fingers crossed these won't be.
 hokkyokusei 28 Jun 2017

I fell off a horse in Mongolia and hurt my shoulder. It's a bit achy generally but painful in certain positions. Going to book a Physio appointment.
 planetmarshall 28 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

I feel your pain.

> 1. L shoulder. Did something to it 6 days ago, possibly when doing deadlifts. Seems mostly better now.

1. L. Shoulder. Long standing weakness after a Bankart repair about 15 years ago. Should have paid more attention to my physio. Currently seeing the folks at Sportmed in Stockport in an effort to get it sorted out once and for all. I have an awesome scar though, so there's that.

> 2. R shoulder. Fell off a roof while bouldering indoors today. Fell on my back and landed on my shoulder. Quite sore and had to cut my session short because of it. Hoping it too will resolve in a few days.

R. Shoulder. Impingement injury. Seems to be improving gradually.

Mark Kemball 29 Jun 2017

I'm in -crocked my ankle on Sunday - a short fall when holds snapped. Luckily, nothing broken and not too serious (this time), hoping to be back climbing in a week or two. At least it's raining at the moment so I'm not missing too much.
 Matt Vigg 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Sorry to hear that Mark, I'll hold your ropes in a few weeks when I'm back over (hopefully in the sun somewhere)!
 Mark Kemball 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Matt Vigg:

It'll be good to have you back, when will you be here? (Family meet?)
 Matt Vigg 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Fly over on the 18th, will be just down the road!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...