UKC

More Gorge Walking/Canyoneering location advice needed please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SmokinGun 22 Jun 2017
Hi Guys....following the great advice I received in an earlier thread re North Wales locations, I'm off to Lake District next month and would appreciate any nuggets of info that any of you might have re locations, grid refs etc of any recommended gorge walking/canyon routes. I've got a couple lined up but have minimal info other than parking locations, no in/out points (Esk Gorge and Church Beck) and am taking a guided trip on Fishers Gill near Thirlmere Any info on other possibilities or expanding on the above two locations would be great! Many thanks.
OP SmokinGun 23 Jun 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

I mean going on a guided trip to Fishers Gill...not leading it
 Mark Eddy 23 Jun 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

Might be worth asking the guide that's taking you in Fisher ghyll, they're likely to be pretty knowledgable on all things ghyll in the Lakes
 TheGeneralist 23 Jun 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

I suggest you buy this guide or its companion. Reasonably priced and good info.

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/832/title/scrambles-in-t...

You've made excellent choices with Esk Gorge and Church Beck. IMHO Esk Gorge is a genuine world classic of its type. We did the whole thing last summer with the kids aged 8/10 and it was wonderful. SO much swimming/DWS/clean rock pitches/adventure etc. Really really good. Overtook a couple of guided groups who were doing little bits of it.

Church Beck is also very good in a different way (shorted, more accessible). The crux pitch is actually possible on the right wall at a reasonable climbing grade.

Couple of reasonably good gylls behind ODG pub in Langdale. Sourmilk gyll in Borrowdale is excellent. Sourmil Gyll in Grasmere is pretty good, but easy. Some great stuff in Ullswaterdale (Patterdale). But none of the above is a patch on the Esk

But to be honest, buy the book.
 Tim saville 23 Jun 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

Hi done a few bits like that up in the lakes,
First is properly the same church beck route you already have info on, however its just north west of Coniston more of a cannoning route, it starts 54.372796, -3.087258 next to waterfall
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/54%C2%B022'22.1%22N+3%C2%B005'...
You can use either path from Coniston to get there, then work your way back down church beck, many good jumps and slides but without a guide I would check all water levels before hand, it did it last may water levels were fine.

The other good one is either a ghyll scramble or canyon depending on which way round you do it in Seathwaite again at the bottom of the waterfall 54.499330, -3.185073
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/54%C2%B029'57.6%22N+3%C2%B011'...
This does have bolt in place but I did this couple of years ago so not sure as to its workability now,

Not sure if any of the above info is useful but saw your post and thought I better chip in
Enjoy
OP SmokinGun 26 Jun 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

Thanks guys, appreciate your input....I enjoy shooting videos on these trips....once I have a decent sized collection under my belt I may just have to put a website together with write-ups, maps etc. There doesn't seem to be a really good central source of info for this stuff....and yet it's so much fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...