UKC

karrimor boots or used berghaus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jayrob84 23 Jun 2017
hi guy i want to buy some new boots but im on a budget . would you go with some karrimor orkney boots new or some berghaus fellmaster gtx boot ?

also any advice on how they fit ?
 Richhowells 23 Jun 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

Hey. I'd never recommend Karrimor boots, in my experience they are rubbish. Went to Snowdonia in a pair after my Scarpa boots were lost by an airline for a few days. Boots fell apart after 20 miles of hard hiking. They weren't even waterproof.

The Berghaus have goretex so with a treatment of Nikwax they will be likely be waterproof. If they fit I'd go for them every time.
 mangoletse 23 Jun 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

I'd also never recommend Karrimor - however, a few years ago I left my morals at the door and went browsing, and bought a pair of Orkney boots in a sale at SD. I did so because they seemed to be a direct copy of my old Raichle boots that were on their last legs. The linings are a bit plasticky but actually the boots have been ace. Good quality leather, Vibram soles and nothing has come undone. I had to use thinner laces to get the eyelets to tighten and lock on them. If they fit they are worth a try.
 leewil86 19 Jul 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

Wouldn't recommend karrimor unless it's a cheap fleece you don't mind roughing up , I would go with the berghaus option if I were you had a pair of karrimor boots a long while back and it was not long until signs of weakness shown up and a large hole on the outside edge appeared.
 petestack 19 Jul 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

> hi guy i want to buy some new boots but im on a budget . would you go with some karrimor orkney boots new or some berghaus fellmaster gtx boot ?

I've used Karrimor Mount (among the cheapest) in recent summers when I've wanted to get out of my trainers (habitual hill runner!) and walk because I was looking for something better but found these fit me perfectly and don't expect longevity at the price. They do gradually soak through in heavy rain or wet vegetation despite being advertised as 'waterproof', then take days to dry, but I can live with wet feet in summer...

> also any advice on how they fit ?

On your feet! Seriously, you have to try, and I swear I never went out to buy cheap Karrimor boots, but I have broad forefeet (one with a substantial bunion) and narrow heels, and these work for me. Might add that Euro sizing's a bit odd, with UK 11.5 equating to 45.5 in these and fitting me perfectly where I'd normally take 46 or 46.5 in anything else. And, while they don't go on for years and years, I've had my money's worth out of them at c.£30 a pair, which is way cheaper than any of the running shoes I'm wearing out in weeks or months.

Would I prefer something of higher quality and 'street cred'? For sure, but I haven't yet found a summer boot that fits me better at four times the price, so can logically wear four pairs of these at a quarter of the life till I do! And use them for gardening when no longer fit for the hill...

So can't answer your question when I don't have your feet and haven't tried either of the models you quote. But what I can say is don't reject cheap boots out of hand if your expectations of them are realistic.
 bouldery bits 20 Jul 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

My Father In law has a pair of fellmasters and is dead happy with them.

I wouldn't be comfortable recommending modern karrimor kit sadly.
 JamButty 20 Jul 2017
In reply to jayrob84:

Yep Karrimor brand is now very basic cheap kit sadly. I've got stuff like basic gloves and socks for running, but the footwear I found seemed to have stitching in the wrong place that ended up digging in your heels.

I've still got an ancient pair of KSB's and a Hard Rock rucksack from the original classic brand and they're great, but keep away from the new stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...