UKC

8, 10 or 12mm dynema for slingdraws?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fakey Rocks 25 Jun 2017

Hi
Just wondering what peoples preference would be for width of matetial/dynema if buying new slings for slingdraws.

These days, there's 8mm super skinny dynema, 10mm, and 12mm dynema to choose from. Nylon is a bulkier heavier cheaper option that probably no one considers now for slingdraws?

Wild country go down to 10mm width, Dmm to 8mm, Beal actually do a crazy? skinny 6mm now, still all rated at 22kN.

I think the length to get would be the 60cm, which you reduce with 3 "folds" to 20cm to rack up.
Does anyone use longer, maybe just the odd one or two?

Probably only going to rack up maybe 4 of these, as i have plenty 25cm quickdraws, or should i get more like 6 or 8?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited at 12:09
 Landy_Dom 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:
I use 8mm. Otherwise it's pretty bulky. Good for small threads and spike runners too. It will wear quicker than the thick stuff but I inspect them regularly and no wear yet. Very happy with this set up.

Definitely 60cm. Normally the bunched (20ccm) or extended (60cm) is all you need. For the very rare times I need more I either use a 120 which a carry a couple of (usually for belays) or I can link 2 60s.
Post edited at 13:13
 jezb1 25 Jun 2017
As above, definitely 60cm long and no thicker than 8mm, they get too bulky.

I was going to get some 6mm ones the other day but they were out of stock.

Start with 4, if you find you want more just add a couple. Rare I'll carry more than 4.
Post edited at 13:58
 k_os 25 Jun 2017
If you've got a decathlon nearby, they have the 6mm beal slings for 5 quid for the 60cm, I've got a couple and they're decent

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/dyneema-sling-6mm-id_8003876.html
Post edited at 16:12
 RhysRolfe 26 Jun 2017
In reply to kos_os:
Seconded, the 6mm slings are great for slingdraws especially for £5!
 springfall2008 28 Jun 2017

I usually take 4 of the 60cm ones tripled over so you can use them as normal quickdraws as well.

I guess the thinner the dynema the more risk you have of it breaking due to rubbing (e.g. on a sharp chockstone) but thicker is more bulky.

Incidently, I prefer thick nylon for my cows tails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...