UKC

Pembroke Camper parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 26 Jun 2017
Hi folks,

We're off down to Pembroke for the first time in a couple of weeks, probably looking at the crags around Mowingword. In the interest of keeping it nice and cheap can anyone please recommend a few spots suitable for free overnight campervan parking where there is no risk of being shot (by the MOD or angry local landowners)?
Thanks.
 IPPurewater 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Tigger:

I hope you are aware of the bird nesting restrictions for Mowing Word which are in place until the 1st of August.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=429

There are quite a few other restrictions in the area, all shown on the Regional Access Database.

Hope you manage to have a good trip in spite of these restrictions.

In reply to Tigger:

Whilst it's not free I tend to park my van up in Tom's Field, which is £3 per night, has a couple of toilets, and is walking distance from the pub. If you haven't been there before drive into Bosherton and its the first campsite/field on the right.
In reply to IPPurewater:
It's worth highlighting that this restriction only covers a fraction of the routes on Mowing Word, so hardly crag-wide - certainly don't let this put you off going.

Other than Stackpole, the Cauldron, and a handful of other routes you've basically got free reign of the whole range - there's not actually that many restrictions in Pembroke. The MOD ones are far more likely to get in your way than the avian ones!
Post edited at 09:44
 DanH9883 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Tigger:

theres a lay by on the right about a mile before st petrox. This has usually got a couple of climbers vans in and I've used it plenty of times...

You can then swing by the lilly ponds (Bohserton) toliets for the neccessary and also get tap water. The national trust don't like you staying overnight in their car park but if you're a member its a handy spot to nip into for breakfast, toilet etc
OP Tigger 27 Jun 2017
Thanks!
We'll check the campsite/field out and I'll do a little searching on Google Street view. Thanks for the update on the nesting restrictions!

OP Tigger 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Just wondering what are the restrictions on At Govans Head other than the nesting ones? The UKC info says "army free" but then goes on to mention night firing.
Thanks.
 John2 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Tigger:

Here's the firing schedule - it shows when the road to St Govan's is open.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/castlemartin-firing-notice--2
 Oliver Houston 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Tigger:

The field at Bosherston is great as a super cheap, no problem spot. But walking back from the pub when night firing's going on feels weird. Sort of like you're about to sleep through the apocalypse...

Although it did seem to stop by around midnight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...