UKC

Refinishing a sticky wooden table

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 26 Jun 2017
Our dining table is sticky and I think it needs sanding down and re-finishing but I have absolutely no experience of this - but excited to learn a new skill/maintain something!

It's a light coloured wood... what kind of substance would I want to put on it after sanding it down to keep it light in colour and not sticky anymore? I presume it will no longer match the chairs which are the same colour no matter what I do....

Many thanks...
 Stichtplate 26 Jun 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

Just use furniture wax. Lovely finish, pleasant smell, therapeutic to apply.
 Toerag 26 Jun 2017

OSMO hardwax oil is excellent stuff, we use it on our kitchen worktops. It literally turns into a solid flexible plastic. Put it on very thinly. Be warned that it's virtually impossible to clean your brushes properly afterwards, so use cheapies and throw them away.

You may be able to cure the stickiness though, google up french polishing as I'm sure I've read something about that on a french polishing website.
 nniff 26 Jun 2017

A further option is to put Ronseal on and then take it off again with wire wool and then wax it.
 Oliver Houston 26 Jun 2017

+1 for Osmo, we've used it on floors, windowsills and our dining table. The 1st coat often looks rubbish, but the second makes it look great.

5 years on and the floors are in the process of a touch up, but mostly going strong.

Is it varnished?

If so, it may be a polyurethane varnish, which can go sticky.
OP elliot.baker 26 Jun 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

I don't know enough about wood/finishes to even answer that. It's a little bit shiny light coloured wood but kind of waxy/matte in patches when the light reflects on it...

I gather the best bet is to sand the whole thing down and then put something on it like what people have recommended above... then it will be better than new hopefully!
 Timmd 26 Jun 2017

I know of a furniture and cabinet maker who could sort out the table and chairs for you so they all match, he is Sheffield based, so he wouldn't have so far to travel.

Email me if you want his details...
OP elliot.baker 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks very much but I'm quite excited to give it a go myself... even if collar and cuff ends up not matching so to speak!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...