UKC

Where to stay in the Lake district?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 29 Jun 2017
I'm planning on heading back to the UK with my family in 2 weeks time and want to show them a bit more of the UK. Wife and kids have never been to the lake ditrict, so I really want to take them, but having trouble deciding where to stay or even just finding somewhere reasonable.to stay for 3 or 4 nights.

We're a family of 5 with 3 kids aged 2,5 and 10. Not planning on doing any climbing, but maybe some walking. I want to be in the heart of the lake district and not miles away. Booking dot com keeps suggesting places like Barrow-in-furness, but that's too far away. Don't really have an idea of a budget, but probably around £200/night max.

Cheers in advance for the suggestions.
 luke_rob123 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Keswick is a great place with plenty of hotel/b&b options. Very close to borrowdale valley for walking and great Lakeland scenery.
 plyometrics 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Few suggestions for starters, of potentially many, would be:

Borrowdale - Lodore hotel
Buttermere - bridge inn
Newby bridge - the swan or lakeside
Windermere - bellsfield
Ambleside - low wood

Other than the bridge at Buttermere, all the others are fairly big hotels and cater for children pretty well.

Many others to choose from, but hope this helps.
 Mark Eddy 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Langdale or Borrowdale valleys are both good bases. Plenty of choice in both. The Langdale Spa in Elterwater is worth a look, they've done lots of upgrades in recent years and the place is looking rather fine.
The Lodore in Borrowdale also a nice place.
Or there's YHA's. The Ambleside YHA is on the shores of Windermere and an easy walk to Ambleside + ferry from the doorstep.
The Low Wood is currently a building site and looks like it will be for quite some time yet, so would be cautious about booking there for this summer.
Don't delay much longer though, it's busy up here and will get busier over the coming weeks.
 Harry Ellis 29 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Derwentwater Independent Hostel is a fantastic 18th century mansion in its own extensive grounds right on the lake just 2 miles from Keswick. Walks from the door and incredible views for very good prices for private rooms. Good home cooked food too.
 The Ivanator 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Last visit we went for a self-catering cottage and used http://lakelandescapes.co.uk/ (a small outfit with a place in Windermere and one in Ambleside) both places would accomodate a family of five and prices are reasonable (within your budget, if they have availability). We stayed in the Ambleside cottage which is perfectly positioned on the very edge of the town, great for access to Langdale.
Phil Payne 30 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil Payne:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Time to do some more browsing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...