UKC

Tubeless trail puncture repair kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 30 Jun 2017
For those riding, mountain bikes in particular, with tubeless tyres, what equipment do you take with you out on the trails in case of a puncture? So far I've been taking an inner tube (the 650b+ ones are rather large and heavy!), tyre levers and pump but I guess I should take something I could use as a boot if I rip a tyre wall. I saw the post the other day recommending the new fivers, but is there anything else cheaper that I could take that would work? I'd invariably spend the fiver on cake and coffee.

I've been doing a number of over-night rides on that bike, and might do longer bikepacks in the future, so I want enough to not leave my bike unrideable along way from home, but at the same time the less I can get away with carrying the better!

Has anyone managed to destroy a tubeless tyre? I'm still at the stage of whincing when I see them squish and deform as I crash through limestone rubble on the techyest of trails I've ridden, but so far so good - quite impressive how tough they seem!

Dark-Cloud 30 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:
Yes, torn sidewall, sealant everywhere, I always just carry a spare tube, need a pump anyway if you puncture and it seals as some air goes, I just carry one of these, or a variation of, costs less than a fiver and you can't spend it by accident

https://www.evanscycles.com/park-tb1c-emergency-tyre-boot-00103336
Post edited at 21:02
 gethin_allen 30 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

The issue with trying a tubeless repair is reinflating the tyre without an air shot type device or even a track pump.
 Brass Nipples 30 Jun 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:
> The issue with trying a tubeless repair is reinflating the tyre without an air shot type device or even a track pump.

Ermm not for MTB tubeless it isn't. Standard pump will do the job.
Post edited at 21:18
 neuromancer 30 Jun 2017

Use an inner tube, get home, re-set-up tubeless.

It's not the end of the world.

And you'd still be riding with that spare tube if you had tubes in.
 gethin_allen 01 Jul 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Ermm not for MTB tubeless it isn't. Standard pump will do the job.

I guess it depends on the tyre and rim combo but, a lot require at least a track pump to get the bead seated on the rim.
 alfmeister 01 Jul 2017
I've had this problem too of trying to use a compact pump to reset a b+ tyre. I was thinking of trying one of the larger co2 cartridges, have others tried this or have any alternative ideas ?

Monk 01 Jul 2017

> I guess it depends on the tyre and rim combo but, a lot require at least a track pump to get the bead seated on the rim.

Definitely agree. I can't even get one of my setups to seat with a track pump. Trying has been a better workout than some of my rides!
 nniff 01 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I carry a spare tube and a small hand pump. CO2 is no good if you have a tubeless tyre that has lost too much pressure before resealing - my experience is that the CO2 just blows the hole open again, after which you don't have anything to inflate the spare tube. A gel packet makes a good boot. One of these got a friend 5 miles to the nearest bike shop after he lost an acorn-sized part of the wearing surface of a road tyre. The tyre wasn't exactly round any more, but it did 5 miles with no sign of wear.
 Brass Nipples 01 Jul 2017

> I guess it depends on the tyre and rim combo but, a lot require at least a track pump to get the bead seated on the rim.

I have UST which has never needed a track pump to seat, but I guess these lighter tubeless setups aren't as easy to use.
 peebles boy 01 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Re. the cheap tyre boot question - cut out a 2inch by 6inch section of plastic milk bottle.
But take a fiver as well for emergency cake needs
 peebles boy 01 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Energy gel wrappers also work in a tight fix.
 Chris the Tall 02 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Always carry a spare inner tube, but in 6 or so years I've only had to use it twice - once when I ripped a knobbly tyre on a sharp drainage ditch and the a couple of months ago when I had a hole in the sidewall of a really old tyre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...