UKC

HELP with new SAT NAV option please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 02 Jul 2017
Hello all. I am planning a 4x4 climbing trip to southern Africa soon. Zambia, Botswana etc. About 7 countries for 3 months. I need to get a new SAT Nav for the trip. Does anyone know a make/model that can
A, Maps of Central Europe including UK & Ireland
B, Maps of Southern Africa
C, Most importantly can import GPX files (these are the pre-made locations of places I want to go)

There are so many models out there its bewildering. Thanks.
 bouldery bits 02 Jul 2017
In reply to Aigen:

Can't help, but that sounds incredible. Have a great trip.
 elliot.baker 02 Jul 2017
In reply to Aigen:

my instincts make me think smart phone with a range of apps for the different needs.

google maps you can download areas to be available offline if you don't have internet access but many providers offer free internet in Europe now anyway. Then you could download the road parts of south africa.

view ranger you can import gpx files and download areas to be available offline.

DamonRoberts 02 Jul 2017
In reply to Aigen:
I'm not sure about any SatNavs that will offer good GPS navigation for driving and exploring offroad, hence you might be better off with an Android phone/tablet with a chunk of memory/SD card slot rather than a specific Sat Nav.

Here Maps (think its called Here WEGo or something now) offers the ability to pre-download maps for areas you need on a per country or per area basis, rather than the Google Maps approach which is quite tedious to download large areas. Mapping is pretty solid, although I don't know how well it'll fare with 4x4 tracks. Its gotten me across South Africa multiple times and generally seems to know all the paths in game reserves etc.

Combining this with Viewranger or GPX Viewer or Maps.Me (I think this offers offline mapping, but only supports KML files rather than GPX) for following premade trails for non mapped roads.
Post edited at 11:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...