UKC

80m, less than 10mm Ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emilio Bachini 06 Jul 2017
Hello folks.

I was just wondering if anyone has been looking at ropes recently and come across anything they thought worth sharing.

Ideally looking for something at least 80 meters and between 9 and 10mm.

Treatments and such aren't such a issue but ideally the less money I would have to part with the better.

Thanks in advance, Emilio.
 Fraser 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/edge-rope-89mm-x-100m-id_8360082.html

8.9mm x 100m - great rope. They used to do an 80m version but I didn't see it advertised so might be worth checking.
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks for the quick response. I've kept an eye on this rope for some time but have always thought it's a touch on the slimmer side of durable.

From your experience how was it held up? Do you use it for particular types of climbing? Have you had to cut it often? Given its length it's got plenty to offer in that sense.
 Fraser 06 Jul 2017
It's much more durable than I'd expected, given how skinny it is. I've not had to cut it yet and its had a fair bit of use now over the past 7-8 months. It also handles very nicely so I'd highly recommend it, and have done so on here many times before.

Edit: I should also have said that it's all been for in & outdoors sport climbing so far. I'd use thinner halves for trad.
Post edited at 21:47
 Ciro 06 Jul 2017

> From your experience how was it held up? Do you use it for particular types of climbing? Have you had to cut it often? Given its length it's got plenty to offer in that sense.

One of the guys I met in Spain this year had been sport climbing on one of these all winter, and it was still in good nick. I got one and it got it's first chop after about 8 weeks of heavy sport projecting. At the weight and the price can't have any complaints.
 HeMa 07 Jul 2017

From the specs, I assume you're after a workhorse rope for continental limestone bolt clippin'.

If that is the case, I got this a year or two ago for this precise purpose. https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/mammut-zopa-97-bergfreunde-edition-bf/

Not the lightest (like the Simond 8.9mm tripple rated), but cheap and quite hard wearing. Like said, seems to be in good nick, but to be honest I only use it on Euro sport climbing trips, so I've only used it for a few weeks each year. Still, looks as new. And I find that having a few dedicated ropes seems to make them last longer.
 DamonRoberts 07 Jul 2017

Our club has a few of those Zopa's, they're rather nice. I'd recommend them.

Personally I have a Beal Stinger 3 9.4mm, haven't used it much but if the Beal Joker our club has been using is anything to go by it'll last a long time.
 Hooo 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I was in Decathlon yesterday, and they had this 100m and an 80m one. Both in fetching flouro pink.
 Fraser 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Don't worry, they dirty up quite quickly
 roym 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

They do an 80m, click on the little thumbnail asa if you were changing the selected colour. It's £10 cheaper.
 Fraser 08 Jul 2017
In reply to roym:

Yeah cheers, but 20m more for a only tenner - that's a no-brainer to me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...