/ Video Stabilisation

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
mypyrex - on 10 Jul 2017
Does anyone know of any good video Stabilisation software, preferably free or not too expensive. I have been using Microsoft Hyperlapse but the trial installation has now expired and with the few videos I make I cannot justify the cost of the full version. Unless I pay for the upgrade the final version appears with a watermark.
Thanks.
mypyrex - on 10 Jul 2017
Bump
balmybaldwin - on 10 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Software stabilisation software is pretty useless...I would suggest getting a Gimbal for the Camera instead. Otherwise, some video editing software has it (e.g. premiere Elements)
CasWebb - on 10 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I've used Movavi from time to time which does an OK job. Obviously better to have stable video to start with though.
mypyrex - on 10 Jul 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks, but I'm talking about video taken with the GoPro attached via a chest or head harness whilst walking. Walking and carrying a gimbal at the same time in mountainous terrain strikes me as possibly a bit awkward.
mypyrex - on 10 Jul 2017
In reply to CasWebb:

> I've used Movavi from time to time which does an OK job. Obviously better to have stable video to start with though.

I've just got a trial version of that which I'm testing out.
balmybaldwin - on 10 Jul 2017
mypyrex - on 11 Jul 2017
Just watched a video of the TMB and was impressed by how little camera shake and movement there was. I contacted the author who assured me that he used a GoPro on a selfie stick. Maybe then chest/head mounts followed by stabilisation are not the answer. I'm reverting to putting a handlebar mount on one of my trekking poles.
ChrisJD on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The in-camera electronic stabilisation on the GoPro 5 (Session 5 and the full size one) is pretty damn good. I've used many previous GoPros (and other action cams) and very impressed how stable the Session 5 footage is.
FesteringSore - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

> The in-camera electronic stabilisation on the GoPro 5 (Session 5 and the full size one) is pretty damn good. I've used many previous GoPros (and other action cams) and very impressed how stable the Session 5 footage is.

Mine's a 4 but I'm going to run some tests this weekend
richprideaux - on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> assured me that he used a GoPro on a selfie stick.

If there is a selfie stick/pole in the foreground of the shot then it looks more stable as there is a consistent point of reference for the viewer. It can make all of the difference when filming when moving - but does make it harder to film scenery etc.

Holding the camera out at arms length works too - but only makes sense when talking to the camera like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGVefPZ4OEt=9m2s
Joez on 11 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Have you tried Galluscam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVbIvAlivfM

I've used it occasionally, however some counties have a restriction on use of the system especially if you want to travel with your own unit. (China is very restrictive - I think you need to get a special H1 permit...or maybe it's N1?)
Post edited at 11:51

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.