UKC

Five sisters logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 10 Jul 2017
How do people do the five sisters without a car? Is the bus service ok to rely on? Is it usual to hitch hike back to the start? Thanks
 Siward 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

I've hitched it a couple of times with no difficulties. Up to Sgurr Fhuaran from Shiel Bridge is my favourite way.

If you have one car, maybe stash a bike at the other (Eastern) end and cycle back downhill to your starting point.
 streapadair 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

Buses are fine (Citylink). Shiel Bridge to Cluanie around 9am and 7pm, Cluanie to Shiel Br 7.45pm.
OP Phil1919 10 Jul 2017
In reply to streapadair:

Thats great. Thanks both.
 malky_c 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

Buses are fine - 4 or 5 a day, usually on time, bit expensive though.

Best bet if you have time is to drop down to Glen Lichd and walk out that way (or walk up it first).
OP Phil1919 10 Jul 2017
In reply to malky_c:

Phew, long day, but an option. I guess hitching whilst waiting for the bus is best option.
 BelleVedere 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

have hitched up and down glen sheil, no problems - including once all the way back to inverness.
Removed User 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Siward:

> I've hitched it a couple of times with no difficulties. Up to Sgurr Fhuaran from Shiel Bridge is my favourite way.

> If you have one car, maybe stash a bike at the other (Eastern) end and cycle back downhill to your starting point.

Done both of those, no bother.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jul 2017
In reply to malky_c:

Did it that way once when staying at Glen Lichd House. Much better done that way IMO, it avoids the slog up from the road, and doesn't add a huge amount to the time taken (the track up the glen is a good one).
 Jack B 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:
I've done them from Glen Licht House a couple of times. It's a nice way of getting up the five sisters, you get a full day without trogging along the road . I think the hut is still in the process of being done up, but it is open to guests, and it's pretty cheap at £6pppn. IIRC it's had a new roof, kitchen, fireplace, and mattresses, but I don't think they've put the toilet in yet. Contact EUMC to get keys: http://eumc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/facilities/hut/
Post edited at 11:45
 tony 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

I parked at Morvich and walked up Gleann Lichd and then turned south after Glenlicht House up to the Bealach an Lapain, and did the ridge east to west. After Sgurr nan Saighead, follow the ridge down over to Sgurr na Moraich. As has been said, the track along the glen is very good and makes for easy walking. I do remember the climb up to the bealach being a bit wet - long wet grass, without a path, but it was nice to be able to do it without bothering about the road.
OP Phil1919 11 Jul 2017
In reply to tony:

Ahh yes, Glen Lichd house would fit in well. I'll be coming through from Glen Affric. I'd just need to bring enough rations. Is it easy to get the key? I was thinking of staying at Ratagan but it is a bit busy.
 Jack B 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

> Is it easy to get the key?

I've always found it quite straightforward - much like the other club huts around the country. Email the hut sec, agree date, they post you a key. Post it back afterwards. Unless you live in Edinburgh, then you can just pick it up/drop it off. The EUMC hut sec changes fairly regularly, and I haven't spoken to the current one, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't pretty efficient.

OP Phil1919 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Jack B:

Ok thanks. That is a good find.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...