UKC

The Angry Corrie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dai Horribly 15 Jul 2017
I've been out of the loop for sometime, reading some old copies I have at home - is this still published?
 Glyno 15 Jul 2017
In reply to Dai Horribly:

it disappeared about the same time as Troll Jesters
OP Dai Horribly 15 Jul 2017

No Jesters!!!!!!!!!!
 d_b 20 Jul 2017

There were rumours that they were going to come back a couple of years ago. I was gutted when they failed to show.
 Dave Hewitt 20 Jul 2017

It might yet, in some shape/form, but don't hold your breath. Too much life got in the way for both Warbeck and me a few years ago and once the momentum was lost it was too hard to regain. Officially, however, TAC is "resting, like the actors".

I'm not the most e-literate/techie of people and all the social media malarkey has left me standing (can just about cope with threads on forums such as this); Warbeck's much more up to speed with that kind of stuff but if TAC did restart I'd prefer it still to be in printed magazine form, as I seem to be getting more oldfashioned the older I get. The walking/bagging world sure as hell needs some kind of satirical-ish, poke-with-a-stick publication - a lot of people in that area have been taking themselves way too seriously in recent years.

So: perhaps some day, maybe. Thanks for the kind words, anyway. (Murdo Munro has switched from Troll Jesters to Ronhills, btw, two or even three pairs at once in winter.)
 Steve Perry 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt: Fingers crossed you can one day find the time Dave, it's very sorely missed.

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

>The walking/bagging world sure as hell needs some kind of satirical-ish, poke-with-a-stick publication - a lot of people in that area have been taking themselves way too seriously in recent years.<

Absolutely - I think you can include the climbing world in that as well. One of the reasons I really liked Andy Pollitt's book was its irreverant humour.
Please bring back TAC.
pasbury 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

In spite of your reservations about t'internet do you know if any versions of the mag are online?
OP Dai Horribly 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

There is a definite need for TAC so crack on!!!
 Dave the Rave 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Perhaps Murdo could have a new bagging partner, Callum Mckaminikers?
 Iain Thow 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Second the comments above. Would love to see it back if you get the time.
 planetmarshall 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> ...if TAC did restart I'd prefer it still to be in printed magazine form, as I seem to be getting more oldfashioned the older I get.

There's definitely still a place for print media, just look at Private Eye. It had its highest ever circulation on 2016.
 Dave Hewitt 22 Jul 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> In spite of your reservations about t'internet do you know if any versions of the mag are online?

This seems to still be viable for the first 73 issues, although not all the actual links might work:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120908215543/http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/

There was another archive which worked until recently and which had all 78 issues - that was the one I tended to use if needing to look up something - but it's now kaput for some reason. Will investigate further.

More generally, there were lots of factors in play that led to TAC petering out, one being that I seemed to lose the energy needed to fight all the battles behind the scenes that are inevitable if trying to produce an independent magazine. There are loads of brilliant and encouraging people out there in the hill world but also a few thin-skinned / humourless ones who can become quite difficult if fun is poked or if their work is being reviewed in a (hopefully) fair and honest but less than glowing way. Over the course of 20-odd years, and with no formal backup, that kind of thing can prove a bit of a drag. Still, perhaps somehow, some day, as I say - it's encouraging to hear that people still miss it.

Oh, and I don't know about bagging partners for Murdo but as for his occasional girlfriends (bag-sharing partners?) I see that one, Hillary Step (or was she called Hillary Steppe?) came to grief recently. Others are happily still around however, eg there was Anna Purna and also Fiona Sgurr.
OP Dai Horribly 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

What about a nice Welsh girl for Murdo, I think Penny Fan is still looking to get out onto the hills?
llechwedd 22 Jul 2017

> What about a nice Welsh girl for Murdo, I think Penny Fan is still looking to get out onto the hills?

Is that what she told you?

I've found her on top of Lord Hereford's Knob.
 Dave Hewitt 22 Jul 2017

> What about a nice Welsh girl for Murdo, I think Penny Fan is still looking to get out onto the hills?

She sounds nice. Murdo doesn't often stray south of the Scottish border, and he's a shy and rather preoccupied chap, but he might be tempted. He's heard she does a good Fan Dance, and of course he's long had SAS-type connections via his adventures with John Ridgway.

Ridgway is good value - I've never met him but used to send him freebies of TAC because of his walk-on part in Murdo, and he would occasionally send back entertaining letters and even once a Christmas card!

(I've a feeling that Lord Hereford's Knob featured in TAC a good many years ago, and once is enough.)
 d_b 22 Jul 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

were they in the hay, buff?
llechwedd 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> (I've a feeling that Lord Hereford's Knob featured in TAC a good many years ago, and once is enough.)

I'm on the naughty step, now, as I type....
OP Dai Horribly 23 Jul 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

I think the whole thing with Lord Hereford was just scurrilous rumour mongering put about by his then girlfriend Marilyn who felt intimidated by Penny's more ample proportions.
 Pbob 23 Jul 2017

There may be a few tech-savvy Munro Pineapplers residing on the plains of Albian willing to lend a hand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...