UKC

2 Week European Tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello all,

I'm looking for some inspiration. The year is zooming by and I've not had a decent adventure so am starting to panic.
Anyone got any recommendations for a small tour (two weeks) in Europe? Ideally I'd fly to somewhere, then ride home via a ferry (home being North Essex). My thoughts so far have been Gibraltar to Bilbao/Santander via Portugal, or somewhere in northern Italy to Rotterdam via Germany. A couple of years ago I did London to Nice via Geneva so would like to avoid that neck of the woods. I'd probably start at the beginning of September.

Cheers,
Lloyd
 Mouflon 19 Jul 2017
In reply to adventure_vulture:

Lloyd,
A couple of years ago, three of us drove to Portsmouth with the bikes then left the car cheaply at a place found on Justpark.
Took the ferry to Santander then cycled up the Spanish and French coasts to La Rochelle and from there made a beeline for Caen and ferry back to Portsmouth.
We took 3 weeks but we camped every night, so carried extra gear - plus our average age was 70 and none of us are 'full-time' cyclists.
So 2 weeks would be very feasible.
When I was researching the trip, I saw that loads of people follow the coast up through Brittany to Roscoff but you then have to get back from Plymouth to Portsmouth (unless you use trains instead of the car).
An alternative to shorten it is to go to Bilbao instead of Santander.
Dave
 LittleRob 19 Jul 2017

How about chucking in some French Diagonals http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/odds_and_ends/cycle_tour.html#anchor107626

Rob
Rigid Raider 19 Jul 2017

Have a look at the Members' Travelogues section on this excellent forum for some inspiration:

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/members-travelogues.46/
 RX-78 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Mouflon:

along the coast there is a lovely long (1200km) cycle path. the la velodyssee, check out its website, just google the term. we saw lots of touring cyclists on it, all ages and families as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...