UKC

Castle Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Potter 21 Jul 2017
Has it fallen down yet? I assume it's still not safe to climb on!!
 Oogachooga 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

No not at all! In fact it is getting quite a bit of attention at the minute

Have a read: http://www.topropefreeclimber.com/2017/07/a-locals-guide-to-cleeve-hill-roc...
 GridNorth 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

Apart from the views the place has very little to recommend it, it's polished, loose and not very high. I can see the crag from my house and I have climbed on it extensively. The V.Diff/severe crack lines are good and seem to maintain their form and structure unlike the rest of the crag where after every winter there are piles of rocks and surface slivers scattered around. The crags further on, although less polished, are death traps despite being given stars in the guide. The ONLY reason I climbed at Cleeve Hill was because I could mountain bike up there in about half an hour, solo about or top rope and be back at my house in 5 minutes, so I got a good all round work out. I most certainly would not travel any distance to climb on it.

Al
 James_Kendal 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

If you mean Castle Rock of Triermain in the Lakes, no it hasn't fallen down so continue to avoid the North crag. The South crag is unaffected and still good to climb on.
 tmawer 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

I think the advice is to avoid routes left of, and including, Overhanging Bastion. There are a number of good routes on the north crag right of this still available, and the south crag remains clean.
 Michael Hood 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

You could probably still do Zig Zag as long as you were sure that it wasn't about to come down whilst on the first 2 pitches.

Do you feel lucky punk?
 Skyfall 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

We've been climbing in the Lakes this week and are surprised at how few climbers we've seen. We've had most crags more or less to ourselves (including Castle Rock). Coincidence or are numbers dropping?
OP Dave Potter 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Potter:

Haha, wrong Castle Rock, sorry I meant Castle Rock of Triermain in the lakes!!
 Jon Stewart 21 Jul 2017
In reply to James_Kendal:

> If you mean Castle Rock of Triermain in the Lakes, no it hasn't fallen down so continue to avoid the North crag. The South crag is unaffected and still good to climb on.

The North Crag is great and telling everyone that it's a death trap and to avoid it all together will result in it getting overgrown. It already looks a bit forlorn and manky. I don't think the routes left of Mayday Cracks can be recommended, but there's no risk climbing on the front face of the North Crag, and these are terrific routes.

Come along at climb on North Crag everyone, it's one of the best valley crags in the Lakes.

Jon Stewart 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

> We've been climbing in the Lakes this week and are surprised at how few climbers we've seen. We've had most crags more or less to ourselves (including Castle Rock). Coincidence or are numbers dropping?

It's pretty quiet in the week, and busy on the busy crags at the weekends. I was out on Pavey last weekend and there about 5 teams up there which would seem about average? Gimmer was probably more busy. Couldn't comment about a trend over time, but to me the popular crags seem popular and the quiet ones quiet...
 John Kelly 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Castle was still standing last night and busy
Post edited at 20:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...