UKC

Any Walk Better Than No Walk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 22 Jul 2017

Wondering to what extent this is true. Due to family and other commitments my pre TMB training has been a bit limited. I've done medium level walks of circa 5 or 6 miles with a couple of "biggish" ones like Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach in one trip. I also did a ten miler between Capel Curig and Betws. When I can't get on the hills I manage to do a brisk walk locally. This is usually three to six miles up to three times a week.
Post edited at 10:02
Removed User 22 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Treat it like interval training. Always good to get out...........
OP mypyrex 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Treat it like interval training. Always good to get out...........

Thanks. Good thinking. My first day on the TMB is ten miles, mostly downhill, followed by a five mile day uphill.
 summo 22 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There will come a time in most of our lives when we will dream of still being able to go out for even a leisurely 3 mile walk round the block. Pack a flask, walk some where, people watch with a brew, then head back.
 bouldery bits 22 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Go down the park and do some sprints maybe?
200m max sprints with a slow jog back. If fitness is what you want then Interval hard and build your VO2 max.
Post edited at 11:08
 leon 1 22 Jul 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:
Mypyrex is I believe, in his seventies Maybe a bit late for that regime

Doing something, even if its a short walk, is usually better than sitting at home wishing we were younger and fitter. Get out when you can and be grateful you can get out at all
Post edited at 11:26
OP mypyrex 22 Jul 2017
In reply to leon 1:

> Mypyrex is, I believe, in his seventies Maybe a bit late for that regime

I hope you meant that in the nicest possible way
Seventy is the new sixty! When I go for my local walk I sometimes look at others and think "my god look at that old fart..."
 Ridge 22 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Just get out and do. I'm just (hopefully) recovering from achilles problems. It's easy to get fixated about distance and ascent and times. Normally I wouldn't bother lacing up my trainers for anything less than 6miles, but have been doing a couple of miles 3 times a week at a slow pace with the dog. I feel much better both physically and mentally for just getting out and doing something.

On the working front even short walks are better than no walks.
 SouthernSteve 22 Jul 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I suspect a small amount most days of the week is going to be better than concentrating on just big intermittent walks (although you should do those as well). This combined with some flexibility work and strength training (perhaps concentrating on core and big hip muscles) should put you in a good place. You could add a little more weight by wearing a rucsac on the shorter walks to add to this conditioning.

You might improve your performance on the longer days when doing the TMB by doing your local walks on a totally empty stomach (as long as you feel safe doing this) to improve fat burning and glycogen use.

Hope these ideas help. S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...