UKC

Rocks thrown from Sea Walls - Avon Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Digga 24 Jul 2017
A note of caution for all those climbing in Avon Gorge. This evening I was first to arrive at Sea Walls around 17:30 and three people were stood peering over the edge of the crag above the traverse of Morpheus. I kept a good eye on them as I witnessed things being thrown just a couple of weeks ago.

When I moved in to check my guidebook and the line at the base of the crag and took my eyes off them a large piece of rock was thrown and landed about 5-10 metres away from me. I can't say it was definitely aimed my way but it would have killed anyone that it hit.

When I stepped back and shouted up they kindly gave me the finger at which point I took my phone out to call the police and they disappeared. I reported the incident and the police logged it and said they would notify officers in the area (this is the second time we have had to do this in the last few weeks). We also informed other climbers that arrived.

I know there is little that can be done to prevent such murderous lunacy but please be cautious if climbing here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...